1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If you wear gloves when you ride have you thought about drawing and shooting with them on? You won't be able to fool with snaps or buttons or safeties so keep that in mind.

Do tell. What Bill are we looking at?

K51000 and Quicktoy like this.
  2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Ugh O well . It’s for a 22 suppressor I don’t really need so no huge rush

Quicktoy likes this.
  3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I would suggest you look at either the Sig220, or the EAA/Tangfolio Witness.
    They have a variety of options in 10mm. You also get a 15 round capacity.
    Witness Hunter: https://eaacorp.com/guns/witness-hunter-tanfoglio-109

Alternatively, you can go old school & get a S&W 1006, 1066, 1076, etc pistol.
    Or, should you prefer revolvers, you should look at the S&W 610.

4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

No bill. They’re just pumping millions more into nfa branch to get more paper workers.

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Your move.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=Springfield 10mm

6. Jedb

Steeltoe likes this.
  7. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

8. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Get the Sig.

9. lizard84

Temping, but that Springfield already setup with the rmr and suppressor sights is too...

10. Jedb

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Okay gun nuts: I've convinced my girlfriend to get a handgun so she can begin learning to be effective with it.

I picked up a SW22 to start her with, because she's 4'11" and 90 lbs and I don't want her to be terrified of the first thing she fires. When it's time to get her a real firearm, what's a good low recoil subcompact? My bodyguard .380 fits her hand perfectly but kicks like a horse. My 938 isn't a lot better. Somebody has to have solved that puzzle...

12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I shot a guys tikka t3 tac with Nf atacr today and it was insane . Thought I was over the Long range bug but may delay that trip to the cmp now .

13. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I think the new M&P Shield EZ whatever was pretty much designed for this reason.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-380-shield-ez-0

JBraun and lizard84 like this.
  14. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Just a recommendation but you guys should really reconsider utilizing 380’s as your EDC/CCW. Throughout my years in law enforcement I’ve seen numerous suspects survive being shot several times with those with little to no effect. We had a store clerk put 2 to the chest and one to the head years ago on a armed robberer and the guy was still able to fight him and run away.

If you’re basing your EDC/CCW piece based on recoil/comfort then you or your significant other needs more training with a hotter caliber. Now is a great time to be a gun owner with almost unlimited options without half assing your caliber decision because of convenience. It’s your life.

Razr likes this.
  15. lizard84

Little 380’s like my Ruger don’t really feel that bad to me but the post on the 380 shield is spot on, after some 22 training the shield is a great option for moving on to something more capable as a potential carry piece if she chooses to go that route.

16. ton

ton Arf!

OK.

with all your law enforcement experience, then... what's the minimum caliber where you don't see examples of what you're talking about?

17. lizard84

I don’t carry mine a lot but when I do is got Underwood Lehigh defenders in it, not much expansion but those suckers penetrate well. If someone doesn’t go down it’s not because he wasn’t well ventilated.

Razr and JBraun like this.
  18. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Anyone can survive any pistol caliber shot depending on placement. 380 however, has been known to not possess the stopping power of the larger caliber by a significant percentage. 9mm is popular for a reason, legit stopping power with less felt recoil and cheaper cost. Any Nationally Acredited Department has the numbers if you’d like to visit your closest agency to ask. Almost all of the agencies in the DC/Baltimore beltway region do not let their officers carry anything less than 9mm.

ton likes this.
  19. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I don't think he's giving terrible advice based upon his experience. That being said, there are some decent performing .380 rounds out there and at the end of the day, if she can't handle a bigger gun, it's better than throwing a rock. One of my exes was smaller and had little experience with firearms. Took about two years before she was able to shoot whatever she wanted. But she went .22>.380>9mm during the journey. Had she started off with a larger caliber, I don't think she would still be shooting. It's actually become a hobby for her at this point.

JBraun and ton like this.
  20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Who wants to hold my target for me downrange while I practice with a .380? How about with a .22?

Timothy Landon likes this.