1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UFC 226 - Cormier vs. Miocic

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawn Dart, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Who else watched?

1. Ngannou vs. Lewis was one of the worst sport contests I've ever seen in my life.
    2. I'm a big Dan Cormier fan. He seems like a guy who's figured out life and on top of the world. I'm happy for him.
    3. Who gives a shit about Brock Lesnar anymore?

2. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Didn't see it or read about it. DC won then?

3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I didn’t understand Stipe’s game plan. He didn’t look like himself at all and I almost wonder if something was wrong.

Either way, DC is a beast! Those hands are nuclear at heavyweight. Love both of those guys and I’d love to see a rematch.

Ngannou embarrassed himself. Lewis’ back was obviously a huge issue and a real #1 contender should have run straight through him. Between this and showing up out of shape for the Stipe fight with zero grappling ability, I don’t see him sticking around long. It’s a shame because the man has tons of talent.

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

For better or worse, that freak of nature and pharmaceuticals will always draw. The drama in the cage was just stupid though.

5. Lawn Dart

I’ve been known to catch WWE every now and again, and I feel the same way about him over there. It sort of feels like disrespect to the other guys that he basically shows up for title fights occasionally and some shit talk, but doesn’t have to earn like a lot of the others... he just comes and goes as he pleases.

SpeedyTide, dtalbott, JBraun and 2 others like this.
  6. Lawn Dart

Yeah - he planned it, but I think it worked out better than even he expected.

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Agreed. Never got that dude.

8. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Man, how great would the anticipation be for John Jones to come back now and compete against DC for both titles?

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Jonny Bones will never get the egg off his face even if he knocks DC out a second time. People forget the the DC won the second round and arguably the third in the first fight. It wasn't necessarily a dominant victory.

No matter what Jones does from this point on, I'll never put him in the same category as DC. He's a cheater and that smell doesn't wash off.

They'll definitely get my money if they do it again though...

10. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

And all the headlines read, "Lesnar storms into The Octagon and goes after Cormier."

Sounded like Cormier invited him in.

track wagon likes this.
  11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Man, how short-lived was Ngannou's greatness???

He looked like the modern day Mike Tyson, who was knocking everyone out and no doubt people were afraid to trade with him. Joe Rogan said it best, guy needs a head Dr to work through his issues.

Lawn Dart and JBraun like this.
  12. Lawn Dart

He did. During his interview, he invited him into the ring.

13. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I don't care to ever see him fight again. He had the ability to be one of the greats and may still be to some but, to me he's a nobody forever. He had the skill and ability but had absolutely no self-discipline what-so-ever. He needs to just stay away. He gives the sport a bad image.

14. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Inviting Brock in was most likely planned, or at least that's what it seemed like to me. A little manufactured drama to stir shit up.

SpeedyTide and JBraun like this.
  15. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

would love to see DC against Jones at heavyweight.

16. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

And "Get your ass in here" doesn't sound like an invitation to a polite conversation.

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Yup. and it's getting tired.

The Conor effect is real because it's authentic. He's the perfect storm of nationality, swagger, talent, toughness, etc. that makes him fascinating. Other fighters see that and think that talking shit or even being a heel is going to earn them more money, and I think they're wrong.

Hardcore MMA fans care about good fighting and not much else. Every once in a while there's a legitimate rivalry. i.e. Dillashaw/Garbrandt, where the guys genuinely hate one another and want to hurt each other for personal reasons. Of course that makes for more compelling fights, because like Conor's swagger, it's authentic. The staged BS and fabricated heroes and villains is just dumb. People can see right through it.

18. Lawn Dart

It doesn't sound nearly as aggressive as Lesnar's response. "Get your ass in here" can be playful, especially since the guy was ecstatic that he just won.

19. Lawn Dart

What do you think of Darren Till?

20. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

That's a shame too because I think he's the best of all time. Everything I have read and heard through podcast say that such a small amount didn't give him any advantage and was probably due to tainted supplements. Something about unclean vats at these bigger facilities that make multiple different products on the same line.