1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame welding

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, Jul 6, 2018.

1. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I need the expert's opinion on this crack we just found on a bike we're working on. Is this fixable with a good aluminium welder ?
    Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I wouldn't but it can be. Problem is, every single inch of that weld needs to be ground out, to get a proper full pen weld put back in there. And at that point without a fixture, it can move the steering head because the aluminum tends to move alot during welding. It may pull it to one side or the other, and then it may move it forward or reverse. Fixable yes. Troublesome yes. What year gsxr is that? 06-07?

3. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

No idea about fixing without it jigged up...but dammit!! Glad you found it, that would have some serious consequences.

4. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Looks like a job for Shervin!

Wingnut and 418 like this.
  5. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I’m curious about it being a cast to forged weld. Also is this bike going to see track duty or just someone commuting to work on it? If the ladder I’d say just go for it.

6. cha0s#242

It's actually a 1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30.

7. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

He's asking about welding, not ladders. :Poke:

:D

Sabre699 and t500racer like this.
  8. cha0s#242

It's going to the track.

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

That's a lot of work ($$) to repair, but the rarity of the bike might make it worth it. You'd never find a replacement frame. There are fabricator/welders who can do it properly, some of them frequent this forum. If you don't choose to repair and decide to part out the bike, let me know, I could use the spares.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Britt and other legit welders can make that better than new.

No idea in cost but you won’t find a better welder than Britt

turner38 and XFBO like this.
  12. cha0s#242

I understand he's good, it's just that I'm in an other f@cking country... I have a few contacts up here I will ring up.

13. joec

joec brace yourself

I think you're around Toronto. Britt would be the only person I would talk to. Chris Marshall is coming to the states in a couple of weeks. I'd talk to Britt, then talk to Chris to see if he can run it down. I'm supposed to see Chris and could help with getting it down to Britt.

Just as an option.

14. cha0s#242

I'm in Montreal, but the bike is currently about an hour from Toronto. Thanks for the offer. I'm looking at options right now and will keep yours in mind :)

15. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You could give GMD Computrack (Kent Soignier) a shout. I imagine they can repair it, and they'll give it back to ya straight.
    Same locale as Britt.
    Your location is moot, IMO. If you make the commitment to properly repair it, you'll make the time for the road trips.
    Just think, you could come down for the GNF! Maybe that wouldn't leave too much hang time or make a two trip mancation out of the situation.

joec likes this.
  17. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

After welding don't these frames get heat treated?

18. cha0s#242

Not sure about that. I've seen some ads in a few dedicated Facebook groups. I'll ask around. This also could be an option. Man I'm bummed, I was hoping everything would be ready this month and that I was done paying. Fack.

19. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I was talking about parts from Honda, not used stuff. Ten years ago, most of the NOS stuff was gone. I know, I even enlisted help from American Honda and even Mr. Noh himself to get stock bodywork. Never did locate a windscreen.I would check carefully any used frames you might find - if yours is cracked, others probably have similar weaknesses.

20. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

This is racing. Whatever gave you that idea? :Poke:

Sabre699 and cha0s#242 like this.