1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 r6, what prior years Parts are compatible?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jht643, May 30, 2018.

1. Jht643

Jht643 Well-Known Member

I searched but don’t see other threads discussing this topic.

I was under the impression the wheels were the same but came to find out they appear to be different since the 17s have an abs ring on the Front and rear. They also have bigger rotors in the front. What would happen using the older gen wheels with out the abs ring? Would I lose abs or abs and tc? I also thought I read somewhere that the axle is larger?

Rear shock? Appears to be the same but want to double check before remove it.

Other subtle difference on common parts that are swapped out? I know the forks are larger. Any help is appreciated.

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

No on wheels. ECU needs those wheelspeed sensors.

Shock should work.

Engine is almost exactly the same.

Not much else. The bike was almost completely the same for 11 years. Then they upgraded it.

MELK-MAN and Jht643 like this.
  3. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

What about frame, swingarm, exhaust & cockpit e.g. clipons, levers and steering damper?

Just wondering as I have a '10 model and the old bike incl. parts is prob worth less than a few choicecaftermarket parts would cost on a 17+ one.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Isn't there a thread about this already....maybe even 2 or 3.

5. Jht643

Jht643 Well-Known Member

Post it if there is. I couldn’t find it

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

7. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Yes, it was about 2nd and 3rd gen r6 was it not? Not sure what the current one would be considered for purposes of this thread, maybe 6 or 7th?

8. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

Rear sets will work, exhaust, and like said most rear shocks.

Jht643 likes this.
  9. Jht643

Jht643 Well-Known Member

Yeah not seeing any discussion on my topic there either

10. almano

almano The crazy Hungarian

Exhaust, frame, rear set, shock is the same. Engine is different because of the Gear position sensor on the new one.You can use the 17+ engine in the earlier model, but not the erlier engine in the 2017+ model. Forks, triples are from the R1. Swingarm different, front wheel and axle is different. also the rear wheel is different. Fuel tank is different.

Wharfv and Jht643 like this.
  11. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Any workaround the gear position sensor to be able to use the 3rd gen engine one the 17+?

12. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

Following

13. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a work around for gear position sensor yet?

14. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Anyone?

15. Pete Busch

Pete Busch Active Member

Don't mean to high jack this thread but is relevant and was wondering what are most guys doing to get an extra set of wheels for the 17+ R6? Adding up all the stuff you need buying factory wheels adds up to around $800.00 or more for each wheel with all the small parts which makes getting a set of aftermarket rims like OZ more attractive even though their more money yet. I know its winter but there is nothing really out there for sale in the used market so I'm just wondering how you guys are all handling this?

16. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

I have a few sets of complete wheels I’d sale if you’re interested.
    Btw, older wheels aren’t fitting...