1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

V tire Co. makes badass road slicks for the fatty, too.

Attached Files:

2. Mblashfield

Super grippy

Attached Files:

bacolmm likes this.
  3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Accelerates like a tractor trailer uphill I imagine. :D

Picked up a Trek Fuel 9 last fall. 2016 demo model for 1k less than retail. So far loving it although still hesitant as shit in blind turns and on berms. Since I'm living in Atlanta proper now I'm thinking of adding a gravel bike to the stable for riding around town on the shitty ass roads. Zipps with 24cc tires and the potholes here don't sound like a win.

Any local Georgians ride at Blankets after work on a semi regular basis? Would love to hook up with other local riders, except Max. Max is stupid fast.

4. Mblashfield

It’s as fast up hill as any other 25lb off road bicycle.
    “Fast” really depends on the motor.

rk97 likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its a rigid! :D What do you run your tires at?

6. Mblashfield

Depends on tire type and conditions. Road slicks at 20-25
    Off road. 3-8

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

wow... the off road # suprises me! It must be like pedaling a pillow! :D

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Sold my Raven at the end of last year and picked up a Trek. Really like it so far. Didn't think geometry mattered as much on a mtb. Sure enough, it does.

Attached Files:

9. Mblashfield

Roots are non existent on these bikes.

The sales guy that let me test ride it told me to ride it straight into a typical concrete curb in their parking lot, with pulling up on bars.

Amazing. Then he put it on a scale for me. Sold.

Losing the front or rear in turns doesn’t happen anymore, the grip is just like a dirt bike.

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I like my fat tire, and i don’t mind its weight, but i mind WHERE it’s heavy.

Rotational mass and lack of suspension are the two things i’m Looking to get away from with a 29er. I’m sure i will still ride the fat bike a lot, just not on long trail rides, or in XC races.

Plus descending was a jarring and bouncy affair last weekend. Other riders were gapping me on descents. I can catch up on the climbs and flat sections, but it’s frustrating to lose time doing down hill.

11. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

This will be my second summer riding my fat tire, and i just keep going lower...

I ran 10/12 at the start of last season and ended the summer running 9.5/10.5

Last weekend i ran 8.5 and a soft 10, assuming that the rise in ambient temp would bring me up a little.

In the snow, 6/8 was common.

Have yet to flat a tube (knock on wood) and i only carry patches and a pump. A 4” tube is just too massive to keep on you... might try to roll one inside a sock and fit it in a bottle pocket on my jersey, but i tend to just leave it in my car.

Monsterdood and TurboBlew like this.
  12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

13. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

Personally, I'd go with that Stache all day. BUT, I say that because that is what I ride. I have the 2017 model 7 (the green one). Nothing on it is stock anymore, and I sized down from the 29x3" tires to 29x2.6, but it is a phenominal all around bike. Low air pressure in the plus tires takes a lot of normal hardtail rigidness, but is by no means a replacement for rear suspension.

I am currently building up a 29er full suspension and will move back to the OEM 29x3" tire size for more fun. Do it!

14. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Those fat tires would be a pig on pavement. Also that roscoe lacks a thru rear axle and is uses some goof ass on standard sized hub. IMO it's out dated in many ways and over priced (like a lot of trek stuff but it is well made). Also if you really are looking to "cruise" and then occasionally go on trails both those bikes are major over kill.

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I wouldn't go anything brand-new, if that's the case. Keep an eye on the classifieds or peruse the net for NOS models.

If you have a local shop, see if they have any prior-year bikes they are looking to get rid of.

I got my bike from The Pros Closet, as they specialize in used bikes and NOS models. Made an offer on a NOS Trek entry level bike on eBay and they accepted. Easy peasy.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I stopped by the local shop this afternoon and these are the two the owner suggested. I'll by from him - he's a good dude and has done a ton for the local biking community - basically built it himself.

TurboBlew and ekraft84 like this.
  17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I really dig the 27.5+ tires, haven't played much with 29+ tires on my 29" rims. Between those two Trek bikes, the Roscoe looks like a better overall deal with the components it has vs. the Stache. Take a look at the Specialized Fuse Comp rather than that Stache.

18. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I haven't come across much that depreciates like a brand new bicycle. Certainly recommend buying used until you're very familiar with everything out there, its a mine field compared to buying a motorcycle or car etc. The amount of options and different standards is a bit overwhelming. Buying new leftovers is a good option also if looking to save some coin. My current favorite ride is a 2016 27.5 Transition Scout I picked up used. Incredible bike, best I've ridden. Pedals around just fine, not as fast as a 29 hardtail but that's not really my thing. I still ride lots of jump trails and this thing is a monster. I've bought and sold well over a dozen used bikes in the last few years just to try something out and get familiar with more bikes. Its pretty much replaced road racing for me.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm picking up a Stache 7 in the morning. It's the shop owner's personal bike and I'm getting it for waaaaay less than list. It also has some extras already added. Now I need to figure out gear. All I have is road gear.

[​IMG]

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I brought my bike in yesterday to fix the shitty shifting. Turns out the middle of the three gears is bent and another part needs replacement. How hard and how expensive would it be to switch it from 3x10 to 1x10 and is this a better setup? Just wondering if it would be easier than repairing the current gearing.