1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust repacking?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Steeltoe, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

My Arrow is beginning to sound like a D&D. What do I need? I have rivets and whatnot just unsure on packing material?

2. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

You should be able to get a repacking kit from Arrow, or any other exhaust company. I’m sure Two Brothers sells the kit. The kit is comprised of a roll or two of fiberglass packing material, a drill bit and several rivers.

Not sure if you need to get a brand specific kit; nearly any of them will work.

Steeltoe likes this.
  3. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

FMF sells packs of it. Amazon

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I was looking at the FMF stuff. It seems pretty universal.

5. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

But not totally universal. I repacked one and used stuff that was too fine. It little by little blew out. It took awhile but had I just used courser material it would have been fine. Or even tried to reuse the factory cloth thing they had

MELK-MAN and Steeltoe like this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

HMF used to sell some durable steel wool looking stuff to repack Ive used a couple times.
    I looked around at their site and didnt see anything other than
    a return service to repack mufflers. Maybe give them a jingle to see if they still sell it ala carte? Phone: (216) 631.6980

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I use the Moose branded fiberglass from PU, never had a issue.

Steeltoe likes this.
  9. The moose stuff from PU or FMF. I’ve used both and recently used the fmf stuff on an fmf dirtbike pipe and my zuma leo silencer. Worked ok so far. It’s juat a pain in the ass getting it in smooth but then I figured out that a flexible piece of plastic I had cut and folded over like a funnel of sorts and wiped down with WD before install made me look like i knew what I was doing.

Steeltoe likes this.
  10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

you need to make sure you get the right packing material. the crap that is sold in a bag, or $10-20 that looks like cotton candy, is pure garbage. It will blow out in minutes unless it's in a 2-stroke dirt bike. Leo vince sells some very good stranded fiberglass packing material. it lasts and lasts. Anthony corbo with bauce racing can order it for you i know (thats who i get mine from) but parts unlimited is the leo distributor..

exactly..

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I use helix high density repacking insulation on the rsv4.

I actually wrapped it around the db killer insert in the Racefit exhaust to quiet it down.

I was black flagged at ncm for 102.3 db in a 102 db zone.

o_O

12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

The first time I ever tried to repack my exhaust it lasted for about 1 practice session. The next session it clogged the exit hole of my exhaust and damn near killed the bike out on track. Turns out you need an exhaust exit hole to produce horsepower.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

14. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

This place is slacking, you let Toe' start a thread about repacking his exhaust and managed to stay on topic?

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Thanks for the replies. Got it done. BTW Arrow uses a ton of rtv on the end cap and it was pain in the tookus pulling it apart. I repacked with the FMF 4 stroke stuff that looks like a mat. The factory stuff was toast. Doesn't sound like a D&D anymore.

boxcrash likes this.