1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone regret getting a liter bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by CafeRacer, Jun 29, 2018.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Well, yeah, if everyone is on a little bike...and they are all your friends.
    There's nothing so boring and mundane as riding a 1000 slowly. ;)

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Lol, yea! Noone likes being buzzed like the tower in Top Gun.

Don't be a puss :D They do have throttles, you don't have to be hitting plaid to ride the damn thing. But when ya do! I think braking hard is the best part about going fast. Do it downhill to make it even better! You don't get a rush because you just jumped out of an airplane, you get it because your think your ass is going to die and you hope the parachute opens.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I had that feeling at Road Atlanta... love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

im sure all the 600s and 1000s in B group that I was messing with thought they were going fast :D

maybe thats the trick, buy the bike that allows u to most easily ride at your friends' pace. the best riders get on 400s, the intermediates on 600s, and the slowest on 1000s.

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Not me, but I was in that race. It was my first time there. I'm pretty certain I would've done better times on my SV650.

I'd rather my RSV4s be 600s.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Sorry, I was thinkin' minis. Not too intimidating when you and your friends start bangin' into each other...on purpose. :crackup:

stangmx13 likes this.
  7. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

8. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

But it works! Haha

ekraft84 likes this.
  9. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

1K's can be so intimidating to ride fast,especially the ones without electronics,and that's what makes the experience (of riding one) so overwhelming.
    They're better track toys, in my book.

ToofPic likes this.
  10. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Gixxer

Steeltoe and Sabre699 like this.
  12. I have to disagree.

Ive had MW and Liter bikes from every manufacturer except Honda (and a couple of "in between" bikes, GSXR750 and Duc 1098S). Plus Ive always raced MW and HW bikes at the same time. So ive been on track with them back to back.

There is definitely a tangible difference in handling, especially when comparing them to a well sorted 600.

Of course even if a Liter bike could run the exact same lines as a 600, it shouldn't. You do have to square them off in corners, assuming someone wants to get the most out of them. The whole goal is to maximize throttle and take advantage of the HP...which a liter bike can't do as good as a 600 while leaned over. Anyway, how the bikes "should" be ridden is a different story.

Putting that aside, even if I wanted to carry the same lines on the liter bikes, I couldn't (both at race pace). The 1299S is one of the lightest bikes I have ever ridden (even lighter than some of the 600's ive had), but I still can't carry the same lines. I race them back to back and there is a definite difference in the lines I have to use on the Panigale.

Even if the overall weight is the same, there is a big difference when it comes to changing directions at speed. It is very noticeable in places like the high speed chicane at Barber, or the back section at Jennings.

The RSV4 was the worst. It looks tiny, but that fucking thing is heavy. Going by curb weight, it is the 2nd heaviest liter bike. But they put a tiny tail section, almost nonexistent subframe, light OEM bodywork, lighter battery etc from the factory. So while other bikes get a lot lighter in race trim, it really doesn't. That beefy swingarm, headstock, frame and shit look cool...but they are very heavy, and so is that motor. It is impossible to describe the effort it took hustling it around the back section at Jennings compared to the R6 and 675.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  13. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Ah, good ol' Broome :D:beer:

14. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I only regret selling my 89 GSXR 1100 (street legal)

I do have a 2001 RSVR 1000 Aprilia. I've listed it here, but end up shying away from selling it/responding to questions....#beingadoucheforlistingit.

It's a Clarkie with apparently 145HP.

15. Straight away blasters and corner campers. Those guys f up a lot of other peoples fun at track days. What they don’t realize is is they give themselves a bit of a gap to the slower bike that’s on the straight away they may actually learn something. I get it’s fun blasting down the straight, it’s tealky fun but at least give up a few laps or pick and choose when you do it. I remember way back in the day Boyd Bruner on a tz. I blasted him on the straight once then heard him about t5. Next lap I pulled beside him on the straight then let off and got in line behind him. I didn’t even know him then but after doing that a few laps he came over to talk to me then ended up helping me go faster. We’ve been buddies ever since.

Past Glory likes this.
  16. Your answer: Just buy one of everything from 50 to 1200. :)

John Branch and Gorilla George like this.
  17. No regrets, good to know :).

18. One of the funniest track day things ever by a pretty slow guy on a 1000 that crashed. He’d already been talked to before about blasting people on the straight then parking it in corners holding up a lot of people. He crashes in T 1 at road America. Ask him what happened. I was looking at my speedo to see how fast I was going and by the time I looked up I was at the 3 marker. I panicked and hit the brakes too hard and crashed. It was hard not to burst out laughing. Shocked he didn’t have his phone out taking a pic of his speedo to show at bike night.

Shenanigans and K51000 like this.
  19. I used to love riding Monte’s Tuono. That thing was a riot.