1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone regret getting a liter bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by CafeRacer, Jun 29, 2018.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

After a few laps on a liter bike go back to the 600... Id bet you will be dropping lap times immediately. :D

3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Do a California Superbike School or one of the other ones that provide bikes and give it a shot. The schooling won't hurt and you'll get a feel for it to see if it's the path you want to pursue.

4. For someone who is trying to learn to go fast at track days in hopes of being a good racer, a smaller bike is a better choice.

For someone who has "been there and done that" when it comes to racing and going fast, and is just looking to have some fun at track days, then a 1000 would be the bike of choice.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If you're 100% sure you only want to do track days then I'm 100% behind a big bike. Blows me away how many nicely equipped track ready 750's and 1K's I see for sale for like $4K. If you're the type of person that will obsess over laptimes then maybe you'll be frustrated, but if you wanna go screw around and have fun then go big!

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I’ve started riding track and then racing with a liter... surprisingly modern liter bikes are super easy to ride, demanding but nothing crazy. I was spooked by the idea of having all that power but with modern electronics it’s really manageable. Go for it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Says that guy that has probably never changed his own tire or wheel on his track bike. :D

8. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

I agree... I enjoyed racing my '08 R1 and then decided I wanted to step up to the S1000rr...regretted it from day 1. I enjoyed the SV and the old 636 much more. I'm a big dude...but the big bikes are harder to ride IMO. I'm currently looking to build a twin of some sort...maybe a BMW R9T.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  9. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

No, I am not that guy (maybe I use to be). I have been racing a 600 for the past 3 years now, but on track days I do get stuck behind bigger bikes, and it is annoying, because they are just slower enough to make difficult to pass, and being a trackday I dont want to stuff them.

BROsiah likes this.
  10. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Especially not with Michelins...... :D

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Having 600' 750's and several 1000's I would say get what feels best... I am actually faster on a 600 at some tracks than I a on my GSX-R 1000... However none of them are as fun as a 20 Year Old TLR....

12. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

From all the the guys I've seen go from 600's to 1000's only one or two have managed to drop lap times. Some even go backwards because they just aren't comfortable with it. It does seem like more and more people are racing the big bikes which is making me interested but I'm still going to run my 600 at vintage days in A sbk and plan to be to 5 again :flag:

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

You're not wrong .. a modern-day 1000 is a handful at most regional tracks, nowadays.

418 and TurboBlew like this.
  14. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I race an SV650 but have a zx10 for the street. I take it to track days to get my fix and it's a blast. Never ever regret it.

15. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

PIRC a few weeks ago I watched the A sbk race and some dude stepped the rear our while cresting the top of the T2 hill. I was terrified just watching it.

track wagon likes this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what I noticed at track days... the faster riders can demonstrate their skill set on the brakes all things equal. Mr. Broomes assessment is kind of spot on.

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. Personally, I set my PB at every track except Barber on a 1000 (even Talladega). I put down better times on a 600 at Barber for some reason.

18. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I agree.

19. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Like I said, it can be a handful .. :)

20. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Well, you'll learn better throttle control that's for sure. :D