1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here grow corn ?

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Jun 21, 2018.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

This is my 1st time growing it and have a question about growth.

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Propose the question.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This should help.

[​IMG]

XFBO, TurboBlew, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Knee high by the 4th of July

Phl218, Riders Discount and neckbrace like this.
  5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

G97 to the white courtesy phone. Hey he lives in Iowa he surely knows something of it. :D

G Dawg likes this.
  6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

The very tip of the plant has kernels but no husk. From 2 ft below that everything is growing as normal .
    Cobs surrounded by husks and silk

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Did you plant enough that it can pollinate?

PLANTING
    • Corn plants are picky about their soil. Work in aged manure or compost the fall before planting and let over winter in the soil.
    • Starting corn seeds indoors is not recommended.
    • Plant seeds outdoors two weeks after the last spring frost date.
    • Make sure the soil temperature is above 60°F (16°C) for successful germination. (Up to 65°F/18°C for super sweet varieties.) In colder zones, the ground can be warmed by a black plastic cover if necessary. Plant seeds through holes in the plastic.
    • Plant seeds 1.5 to 2 inches deep and 4 to 6 inches apart. Rows 30 to 36 inches apart.
    • For sufficient pollination, plan your plot right. Don’t plant two long rows, rather, plant corn blocks of at least four rows.
    • You may choose to fertilize at planting time; corn is meant to grow rapidly. If you are confident that the soil is adequate, this can be skipped.
    • Water well at planting time.

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I have 6 plants. And yes, I can google also. Like I said there are plenty of cobs growing normally. Just the very top (picture an asparagus spear}

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I brought it up because I did it wrong.

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

You have more than one ear per plant?

beac83 likes this.
  11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

And it's total bs that you can't start them indoors. I germinated them in 3 gallon pots in a 4 ft grow tent.
    Once the ground temp got above 65 I transplanted them.

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Damn just like Beetlejuice.

G 97 likes this.
  13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Yes, they are only 5 weeks old. Apx 4 ft tall. 6 ears so far on most of them.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

30F8B8AD-FBDB-40F0-BD16-AEBDBF0EFC3F.png

Just so we are using the same terminology.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

[​IMG]

Mot Okstef and rd49 like this.
  16. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Yes, it's the tassel I'm talking about

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

So pop corn?

So the ears are not filling out with complete kernels?

As Young stated, pollination problem.

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh Ok, I wouldn’t worry about it. I would take the tassels and shake them and try and increase pollination on the silk of each ear.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Did you see this when you googled? I believe the asparagus tip you're referring to is the tassle, not an ear.

yup. Actually the ears will form silks which extend out of the corn ears and look like silky hair.

The pollen is on the tassles (at the top the the stalk). Remove one and rub it against the silks and pollination is achieved.

For a small patch the process doesn't take more than a couple minutes and can be repeated a few times a day or so apart (using a new tassle) to be absolutely sure pollination is as complete as possible.

To be sure the tassle has viable pollen just tap it on your hand or a piece of paper and you will see some fall off onto your hand or paper.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds normal for a tassel. They're kind of odd looking.