1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Race Bikes on the Street!

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by videojack, Jun 8, 2018.

1. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

After having had two newbies take advantage of my recommendation to keep their charging systems until they felt they were being held back by the bike, until then, consider keeping it street legal and getting miles on the bike around home. Barry and Scott both gave it a shot. Both Scott and Jennifer have vintage Honda race bikes that they ride on the street.

I'm in the process of doing the same for a V4/Vintage Super Bike Lightweight class KZ400 with a KZ440 motor in it (bolt up, plug and play). My recommendations for tires are the 90/90-18 street radial Conti Classic Attack. Wears like a street tire, because it is, and sticks like a radial which for the non-tire warmed vintage motorcycle racers could be the last vestige of a great advantage.

Since that time, I've heard of a similar recommendation from another vintage Japanese motorcycle guy from that "all vintage" group who urges guys to make them dual purpose for street and track.

Just thought I'd put a bug in a lot of old fart ears to see who else thinks the same way?

If it sounds good, add the charging system back and show it off. Be sure to invite those interested in joining us to come on out to the track.

Start to collect your photos and videos showing cafe bikes on the street that actually get raced!

And, adding a picture from Nashville WERA days with the 350GP gang:[​IMG]

2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That's the plan with my VFR. A few races/trackdays and some showing off at bike nights and the likes. :D

videojack likes this.
  3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Everything I own gets safety wired and still has the capability to run lights. You never know what you are going t want to do.

videojack likes this.
  4. videojack

Most excellent! On the VFR, what do you for tires between street and track riding?

5. videojack

That attitude has put a big smile on this prepper's face.

I am also curious about your tire set ups? Different wheels for street and track?

6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I on't ride very much on the street and haven't been to the track in a couple of years, so pretty much all of my bikes are either on old race tires or old street tires. Next time I go to the track, I'll probably need to get new race tires.

7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I have a 17 inch rear, so I have a wide choice. Right now, I have a fresh set of Q3+ for street and trackdays, but I might pop on some DOT Pirellis if I do any racing.

8. videojack

I didn't know what Q3s were so I had to look them up.
    Looks like slicks with slits;)

Good to know that others cross the lines (breaking boundaries) with street and race stuff.

9. videojack

Well come on out and join us in the GP500 pack!

It's more exciting now that we get lapped a little over half way through the race!

10. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

If I ever get my bike done I plan to run it at least occasionally on the street. I have a magneto ignition. But that's nothing that some battery powered LED lights and some zip ties can't fix.

11. videojack

There's a $10 integrated turn signal, brake, and tail light setup on eBay that really makes the conversion process easy.
    eBay item number:

Post a pic when your race bike is street ready!

12. rotax454

rotax454 Well-Known Member

FYI on this subject. In the UK, it is legal to ride a race bike on the road. Some restrictions are still in place. Hours of operation are part of the rules. Would that be something here in the US. Try to get all 48 states to agree on that one. Yeah, right. Hold on. Let me think. If there is money for the State involved, they would be for it!!!

videojack likes this.
  13. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Wow.....the elderly are gettin' kinda brazen here in vintage,gettin' all dungeony and stuff.

videojack likes this.
  14. videojack

Yeah, stay tuned for the next exciting episode of "putting government back into it's place". The Georgia legislature has changed the laws, after the fact. Georgia didn't even allow motorcycles owners to receive a title until 1974. So, all CB350s, my specialty, were Bill of Sale bikes, from the dealer, within the state of Georgia. Add that to the fact that a Bill of Sale could be written on a bar napkin, so long as all the pertinent information was included. The Tag Office would simply make a copy and you'd be responsible for maintaining the condition of the original.

Fast forward to 2017 and the state of Georgia now requires a complete paper trail back to the last registered owner...

That battle has yet to begin...

15. videojack

See above for the next episode of "Dungeons and Government".

16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Pics or it never happened

videojack likes this.
  17. videojack

I concur. Looking forward to having the KZ400/440 at the track for Tally September. Once track tested, licensed and insured, I'll be riding AND racing it at Barber.

notbostrom likes this.
  18. videojack