1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keto Diet

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 1, 2017.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

fairly bad. torn labrum in one, labrum repair/resurfacing in the other that seems to be failing now.

2. I don't disagree with the overall point. But in fairness (to me), I never tell anyone "just do what I do". :D

When I give people advice, it isn't based on what I do. It is generic in nature.

But if nothing else, my routine does prove the one thing that people have known for decades...at the end of the day what matters is that calories in is =/< calories out. There are many ways to achieve the correct caloric balance, and obviously a keto diet is one of them. But regardless, as long as you burn more than you take in, you will lose weight...regardless of what you eat.

Your bold comment is kinda backwards. My routine is a little extreme, including my diet, but it is because I love working out. I don't workout 3x a day to make up for the 4000+ calories...I take in 4000+ calories because I want to workout 3x a day.

If I don't do cardio when I first wake up, I feel sluggish and shitty all morning. Then I like to lift weights after lunch, because weights. But then if I don't do something else at the end of the day, I feel like a slob and cant relax and sleep good. Plus I love playing basketball, so I have to fit that in there somewhere...usually before weights. Not to mention that in general, I can't sit still for very long or I get pissed off and have anxiety issues.

I have always had an aggravating metabolism. So when you put that, with how active I am, if I don't eat like I do, I will end up being a stickman.

acorn27 and NemesisR6 like this.
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

True. BTW, you're a freak :D

In regards to the bold part I quoted, this is technically true, but like the T-Nation article I posted points out, if you don't force your body to become fat-adapted (train it to prefer to burn fat over glycogen), it WILL go into starvation mode and start breaking down muscle to create glycogen, while continuing to store fat. If all you do is cut calories, but continue a high carb, low fat diet, the majority of the weight you'll lose will be muscle mass and you'll wind up getting fatter when your "diet" is over and you go back to eating normally.

BigBird likes this.
  4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I can empathize with this.

The biggest change to my approach to fitness/health over the last 10 years or so (as I'm now deep into my 30's) has been shifting my perception of food from something that comforts to something that fuels. If you stick with that approach and make exercise a necessity for feeling good, you really can't go wrong in the long run.

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I've always been a lightweight, so I didn't really notice that.

I also didn't really notice the clearing effect some seem to get. Maybe I'm really clear already or really messed up. :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  6. 418

418 Expert #59

I remember when I weighed 151 pounds.

I was 10.

Doing keto right now, don't know if it works but I've lost 10 pounds out of somewhere.

ToofPic and ChemGuy like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because exercise sucks :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're better if you don't eat all day too. Makes for a cheaper evening out :D

Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.
  9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Keto absolutely destroys your ability to take in alcohol. I learned real fast to stick to one drink when it comes to liquor and no more than two glasses of wine. At least for me.

Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You just have to build up your tolerance better. I did notice a significant decrease in cost of a night out but wasn't drunk after one or the like :D

11. shakazulu12

I don't even want to fight through it, the hangovers were brutal. After several other people told me they had the same problem I just quit trying. Which is tough to do since I work in real estate and roughly 102 percent of the meetings we have involve alcohol.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Activated charcoal is your friend

BigBird likes this.
  13. shakazulu12

Headed to an opening of a Whiskey based social club tonight, picked up a bottle just now. Fingers crossed.

BigBird likes this.
  14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Report back how it goes.

15. shakazulu12

Do I take it before or after and how much?

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

shakazulu12 likes this.
  17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

shakazulu12 likes this.
  18. shakazulu12

On it! Stay tuned for tomorrows post where I decide I can have 15 drinks and wonder why it didn't work though.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Interesting, this is my third week and I've kind of plateaued over the last 3 or so days. Stuck at 151.4 lbs[emoji43]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What exactly are you doing? Are you following a plan or just eating fewer carbs?