1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

So, my 7 yr old is bugging the crap of me to go fishing all of a sudden. He has always liked fishing but I was never super into it. I don't mind it, but I get board fast. So, I was looking and I see you can pick up little jon boats kinda of cheap. But I don't know much about them. Do I want a flat bottom a V-bottom, is longer boat better then a shorter boat? I have no clue.

There is a small lake less then 10 miles from us we would use it on. The lake has a 7mph speed limit, so I don't need a big motor or anything. I'm thinking a 6 to 9 hp would be enough. A decent trolling motor and we would be set. Nothing bigger then A 9.9 because the other lake we could go to has a 9.9hp limit.

So, anything I should know? We will just be going fishing a couple hours after work on days moms got plans and maybe weekend mornings while the girls are asleep and we can sneek out early and do some man things together!:D

The main thing I hope to get out of this boat is some good bonding time with the boy. I know before long friends will have priority and the ol man will be pushed aside for awhile.:(

2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Are those the ONLY lakes you’re going to brirng it on??

3. assjuice cyrus

Yes sir.

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Then a jon boat should be fine. Heck, find a canoe with the flat back for a small trolling motor and call it a day.

Could even just go with a Minn Kota or Motorguide and wouldn’t even need an actual “motor”.

5. assjuice cyrus

Like just a trolling motor? You think that will be enough and how long will a deep cell battery last? Don't get out there and make me paddle back.. Ill call the marina and the can come get cause I sunk the bitch Id be so pissed... LOL!

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm kinda with Funk. Canoe with a troll will work.

I grew up with both a flat and a V. I prefer a V because it cuts through the water better, but a flat can be a more stable platform for fishing.

If you go the aluminum route, just look for the best deal on Craigslist. I would think you could find a decent rig for $500-1000. The motor is where the money comes in. I always preferred Johnson or Evinrude for small motors. Get one with a 6 gallon external tank. You all will have a blast!

Check out the Lowe brand. I found a bunch on Craigslist with just a quick search.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I’ll troll all day long with my 16.5’ Lund. You’d be fine in all but the most extreme days.

I’ve got an 80# 24V Minn Kota Powerdrive. I used to do the same with a 12v 55#.

You’re just looking to get out on the lake and fish, not tournament fish.

8. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Get a flat bottom. It allows you and the kid to move around more. With less motion of the boat.

assjuice cyrus and motoracer1100 like this.
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

My dad and i used a small flat bottom type jon boat with a trolling motor. Worked fine. If you get one small enough to fit in the bed of a pick up you dont need a trailer. You and boy unload boat from bed, add motor and battery, tackle, 12 pack (well we did) and go have fun.

DmanSlam, ToofPic and assjuice cyrus like this.
  10. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

A 10ft flat bottom jon boat with a 55lb 12v transom mount trolling motor will do the job.

11. assjuice cyrus

12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Based on your description of use, that should be fine I would think ... as long as it runs.

Edit: might want to keep looking for a flat bottom, though. More stable than a small v like that.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

That's almost exactly the same boat my grandpa had when I was a kid. Yeah, a flat boat is more stable, but a V is more fun. And if you get any waves, a flat boat sucks where a V will cut right through.

It just hit me that most small marinas will rent either type of boat. Take one out with your boy and see what you think. Next thing you know you'll have a $40K Ranger:D

assjuice cyrus and Funkm05 like this.
  14. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Just you and the boy? 12-14ft v bottom aluminum with a 9.9 (or even smaller). I've never understood the love for a flat bottom punts. They handle like shit, blow all over the place in wind. about the only claim to fame they have is "you can move around in them better". How much "moving around" are you doing in a 12-14' boat....... They're great for duck hunting out of though. Fishing....meh...

If your kid were a bit older I'd say just get a canoe, but at 7, all the motive power is going to come from you, so go for the boat. If he were 10-14 I'd say canoe all the way. Something nice and peaceful about fishing from a canoe with the old man (or grandpa) that you can't put into words.

Wish you were closer to me, as I'd let you try a few out. Wife says I've got a "boat" problem.....

BHP41 and assjuice cyrus like this.
  15. assjuice cyrus

Thanks.

I do think a flat bottom would be better. If its not going to rock as much i wont be so concerened about him falling out and if i we have his sister (who turns 1 in 2 weeks ) when she 2 or 3 on there i think it mught be better for what we will be doing. There will be no waves, cant go fast enough to carve through anything.

16. Flat bottom with a 9.9 and a gps capable trolling motor to keep you in one spot, that’s a bit overboard but you will thank yourself later. I fish out of a Jon boat quite a bit when I need to get back into areas that you don’t want to risk on a bigger boat and they are actually decent if you set them up right. I’ve got a 16’ with a 25 merc and it does what I need it to do. You could do what I do and have 5k worth of electronics on a 3k boat :)

17. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I was given a new wal mart jon boat,and bought an aluminum canoe.They both worked great,but the jon boat was more stable.
    I had a landscape business at the time,so I pulled batteries out of my Isuzu npr for power.
    Jon boats are so badass,as they let you get into nasty spots that a bass boat would be destroyed,or banged up.
    Your son will be so happy he will always remember you for this.
    Try some gar fishing,and keep us updated!:clap:

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

10hp on a small jonboat is a riot. Tie a sheet of plywood to a tow rope and have fun whippin' it through turns.

19. assjuice cyrus

Is fiberglass better then aluminum or vise versa?

20. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I prefer aluminum. I may be wrong, but I feel it’s more durable and much easier to fix should something happen. You won’t be running speeds that the weight and “slickness” of the fiberglass would give any benefit.