1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best bang for the buck or best deals out now for a truck

Discussion in 'General' started by Lavana, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I've been looking and it seems like trucks have gone through the roof. I like the F150 but I'm looking for the best deals out right now with the best resale value. It seems like they hold the value pretty well because used ones are not that much less than new and are all beat up.

Any suggestions?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I think what it is... folks are financing the freaking hell out of these high dollar units with paltry payments.
    Dealers might be giving wholesale on trade and taking whats owed on the used unit and tacking it onto new loans.

I cant for the life of me understand how folks can spend more than I paid for my first home and treat it like garbage! :D

Anyways... seems there are a few dealerships selling new trucks at a reasonable price.
    Heres one:
    https://www.mhautoranch.com/new/Ram...falls-id-60b95faf0a0e0ae7116ac044681024a8.htm

3. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I've been looking too. What I noticed, look for a nice/clean two or three year old truck out west where gas prices are super expensive, you can pick them up cheaper with a plane ticket flying out and driving it back than you can buying locally.

New units are quite as a good deal, but definitely great deals. www.zeckford.com seems to have some of the best prices Ive found. Apples to Apples on an F150, they were about 12 grand cheaper than anything I could find here locally in SC. That's before I even contacted them about dropping the price just a little more.

4. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Phl218 likes this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I had good luck and found a 2017 Silverado with 18,000 mi thru carvana. Cheaper than any local place to me.

4x4, double cab, LT All Star Edition for 31.5 delivered.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Funny about pricing in different areas.

My son just sold his 2014 FRS for a great deal at $16,500 with 27K miles out, lowered springs and wheels here in S. Cal. Actually, we went to a car show and 2 guys asked what was wrong with it, was it salvage because it was sooo cheap? He was asking $18K on craigslist and had a couple nibbles but we went to this car show and I told him to drop it to what he would take and see what happened. He sold it that night after the car show.

I was back home in Illinois this weekend and one of my buddies has a 2013 FRS....he said out there that car is worth less than 10k? I told Tyler to try and find some and we will ship them here and make two grand per unit after shipping?

My daughter bought a Infiniti Q60 3.0L, last year. We went to the local dealer out here and the guy seemed to be a straight shooter and she got it for $309 plus tax after we did multiple lease deposits...I think that is what they called it. The best deal I could get for her in Dallas, where she lives, was over $400. So we bought it here and shipped it to her.

BigBird likes this.
  7. 418

418 Expert #59

Damn. The dealer actually has a website that makes sense.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Been lookin' at a 2018 Tradesman 3500 4x4 diesel/manual dually. (Best bang for my buck as far as new vehicles go.)
    I'm torn between the price (good as it may be compared to other offerings) and throwin' money at my '02 F350 to upgrade/update. My sixteen year old Ford needs a paint job ($5K), wanna put a manual in it ($5K?) and make it 4x4 ($5K?). That's a lot of $Ks but less than a third of what a new truck would cost. Considering it's a diesel with just under 96K on the clock, it's barely broke in! :D
    I have to ask myself what features I want in a truck, are those features plagued with bugs, can I retrofit an older model with aftermarket features that do the same thing as new OEM options but better, for less and more reliably, etc.

:rant:
    Waaay too many computers on board today's units. How's a guy supposed to develop a hands-on intimacy with his truck when it's built for geeks? You can't work on it, alter it or do much of anything you want to it...but you can talk to it, it will tell you how it's feeling. Yay.
    If I was looking for a 1/2 ton, I'd be buying used and much older, like back when dinosaurs ruled, late '60s-mid/late '70s. You can get anything and everything for those and you can work on 'em yourself. Besides, they're classics (vintage, technically).
    And, yes, you can make 'em fuel efficient without giving up capability. (We're still talkin' 1/2 ton, right?) How's upwards of 32mpg grab ya in an old V8? (Don't know what that would translate to in a truck.) At any rate, much better than anything from today's herd, if you want it to be.
    :rant off:

Just food for thought...

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Wow that's a good price for an FRS in socal

I sold my BRZ in North Central BFE a few months ago...guy drove 2 hours from Indy and I got 1-1,500 more than I would have in ATL...a lot more 86's down there.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

One thing to remember with F150's, you an easily negotiate 15% off of msrp right off the top. F150forums have some good threads on what to expect to pay. Hell, two years ago I bought a leftover 2015 Lariat with the 502a package for under $40k.

11. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I bought a new F150 a few months back but damn that new Dodge 1500 looks good.

Shenanigans likes this.
  12. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yup. F150's are always discounted, especially the XLT trims. Between rebates and incentives, $10K off a $45-50K truck is pretty standard........anybody that has ever paid anything close to MSRP for an F150 is insane.

XFBO likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same every time I've looked at Dodge 1500's. We got 8 or 9k off the sticker immediately on our 08.

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

15% off msrp and dropping 8 or 9k immediately only tells me one thing. They are still over pricing shit on a regular basis.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think it may depend on time of year and such too. Along with the kickbacks and selling extras being where more profit is.

16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Certainly that, but also volume. Ford sold nearly 900K F150's last year............next closest was the Silverado with 575K.

17. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Bought a gently used 2016 F150 XLT with all the bells and whistles last year for under $35k from these guys https://www.cincyautowholesale.com/inventory

They essentially pick up old leases from the dealer and resell them. I told them exactly what I needed and they hooked it up. Super nice people too. No sense in paying even a discounted price on a new truck when you can get something like that IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Asheboro Ford in NC is owned by a car racer and helps club racers.

Shenanigans and maslov like this.
  19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

20. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Check out prices in Canada. With the excange rate you can save some serious $$

It' what makes used trucks expensive. All the trade ins go to wholesalers who ship em to US.

The guy debating about spending $$ on his f250. Seeing how it's a 6.0 don' forget to budget 8k to bulletproof it too.