1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a wagon or small SUV

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I have my old truck for a race hauler (not that I've raced in the last two years), my Z for fun, but my current first world problem includes replacing my work car. Been using Nissan Maximas for years, but am going a different route this time.

Drive 30K + a year so reliability, decent gas mileage, and comfort are a must. Generally target 200K + before I ditch it, would really like to do 300K this time. Don't want bills beyond tires, brakes, and oil changes.

Been cycling a lot, so a wagon or small SUV are appealing. Absolutely must be able to add a hitch. My prior Maximas had the sport package, but this time I opted for the creature comforts and really regret it. Even though I'm 99% on the highway, I'd like a decent suspension package. Prefer some creature comforts, not positive I'd be happy w/o leather.

Six speed goes to the top of the list. Absolutely no CVTs.

No older than 2014.

Been looking at the Impreza Wagon, and Spooner tells me to buy a V60. Diesel Golf is a maybe, I liked my wife's old Jetta.

$15 - 22K, target about 30K on the clock.

Go!

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If I was going to buy a small SUV that all I cared about was reliability I'd look a RAV4 or one of those CRVs. No idea if they have a CVT but I keep seeing ones that are beat to shit and shouldn't be able to cross the street racing down 95 way above the speed limit.
    They have all the passion of giving yourself a stranger but who cares if you just want to drive and not give a shit.

But away from what you want, I'd wait until august until they offer the stupid deals and insane APR and get new.

Or get a used Tigueon (sp?) and just enjoy the highs and lows. :D

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Kyle Brosius likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pretty sure the Hondas are CVT, bosses Civic is. It's not as horrible as people make it out to be.

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Flex.

EDIT - didn't see the manual requirement.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So, if I read what you wrote correctly, what SUV's are available in manual? I can't believe a Flex is, maybe some German stuff is manual, but as you know while fun to drive, German stuff isn't that reliable up to 300K.

6. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt call the Flex small...the Escape is considered the small SUV. With your need for tires/oil/brakes i'd have to say a Honda of some sort.

I rented a new Subaru Impreza a few months ago and its atrociously slow....and Subarus are decades behind interior comfort ammeneties compared to Ford, Nissan, hell even Hyundai.

Speaking of Hyundai, id say the Tuscon maybe fitting all your checkmarks, just see about getting a higher level engine as i'm in Puerto Rico renting one now and while it gets awesome milage, its slow as fuck...

just went on Hyundai website...base model is 2.0 with 154hp....no wonder it felt slow...the faster model is a 1.6 turbo with a 7 speed DSG. and they have a new hatchback SUV thingy called Kona if you're into that sort of thing

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  7. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Manual isn't a requirement - my Z is a manual. Just a preference, but given todays choices I'd imagine most vehicles will be auto. I do know a few Jeeps, the VW, etc come in a manual.

8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I’d look into a Acura RDX for what you are wanting. Just make sure you service the trans.

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

BMW 3 series wagon. A 2014 should come in at the high end of your price point, but checks all the other boxes and will probably be more fun to drive than your Z.

The Volvo would probably work as well.

10. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I just bought a 2010 RAV4 a couple of months ago that seems to check some of the boxes.

If you want gas mileage over speed the 4 cylinder is getting 30-ish mpg highway these days, but I chose speed over gas mileage so I’m only getting 22-26 mpg with the V6. But the 269 HP is nice. I don’t think the V6 is available anymore, but I don’t know how long ago it was dropped.

I also chose the 4WD (actually part-time AWD, but I can lock it in up to 20 mph or something) so I lose another couple mpg from that.

Hitches are available and bolt on easily, but I don’t know how much they can actually tow, especially the 4 cylinder. My V6 with the tow package claims 3,500 pounds.

I don’t think a CVT is even an option on the RAV4, but neither is a real clutch pedal. I think the current generation CRV is only available with a CVT but I could be wrong on that.

Leather is available, or at least was in 2010 because the first one I looked at had it. Mine also has a sunroof if you care about those.

I paid $9,000 for mine. With the price range you’re looking at you could easily get a much newer one. I just don’t know nearly as much about the newer generation.

11. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Stay away from the Subaru cvt 3.6r. My wife’s burns oil like crazy and it started at 40k miles.

12. Trinity Rx7

Trinity Rx7 Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Mazda cx5, its a great little suv

BigBird likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

They come in manuals in the real slower engine also.

New gen CR-V EX is not terrible. VW Golf Sportwagen, A3 Wagon, 3 series wagon, Chrysler Town and Country

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

CVT's are OK if you treat them gently...never gonna get 300k out of one of them, in my lowly opinion.

15. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I have a 98 CRV 5 speed manual with 230,000 miles on it. I change the oil every 10,000 miles and use conventional. I just can’t seem to kill this little SUV. It’s dead nuts reliable and I’m never working on it just driving it. It’s the best beater I’ve ever had. If this thing ever dies I’ll be getting another one. It’s not a powerhouse but that’s good for your drivers license.

I’d be looking into getting a newer one like 2010+ being your price range.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

You could get a new CR-V EX Turbo for $25K

17. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Man lots of good ideas. I drove a Rav 4 on a one way rental for six hours to get my Z, and was underwhelmed. Could have been a crappy rental model though. Would likely be very reliable, really do love my wife's new 4Runner.

Would love a BMW, but believe the repairs after 100K or so would bankrupt me. I'm a bit scared of any German car, which is why I'm a bit hesitant even on a VW.

Agreed on the Subaru. The fact that it is something stupid like 140 HP is tough, even if it is just a work car that has to get me down the highway.

I forgot about Mazda. Man that is a lot of car for the money. Don't get quite get the snob appeal of the Volvo or RDX, but does seem to be a practical decision. Hate that it only comes in a manual in the lower trim, but seems to be the case with manual SUVs. Even the Subaru is that way IIRC

Won't be towing - just need to put on my hitch mount bike rack. I think most cars can take one, I even have one on my Maxima. It just has terrible ground clearance.

What is Volvo reliability like?

18. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

FTFY

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

20. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member