1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Sean Ungvarsky got his start road racing with ASMA here in New Mexico. He was already a pretty accomplished stunt rider and dirt rider before he hit the track though, and he was pretty instantly fast on an old ZX6R. He’s also a super nice kid and a lot of fun to have around, he has an infectious positivity about him.

2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Very cool. I don’t think I ever saw that kid not smiling last weekend.

Boman Forklift and TLR67 like this.
  3. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

4. The 9500 makes sense seeing where the power of them peaks. Do they allow adjustable cam sprockets?

5. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

This. He was pitted a few doors downfrom us and always had a goofy grin on his face. His funometer was red-lined all weekend.

t11ravis and Canadian Bacon like this.
  6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Does this mean that the 790 is released to the States?

upload_2018-6-11_14-47-28.png

rafa likes this.
  7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Not yet. Still scheduled to be a 2019 model. MA seriously has to think about letting that bike into the twins cup.

8. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Probably about like the 390"R" in the jr cup... have fun chasing it.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Looks like KTM made a small MW Twins machine.

Dragginass, t11ravis and 5axis like this.
  10. grasshopper

?

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I think he’s saying it’s not a LW bike but more of a smaller displacement middleweight.

t11ravis likes this.
  12. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

before all the rpm limit dances between brands etc. trying to equalize this class I hear there will be a minimum geared up rider and bike minimum weight for all bikes.

13. grasshopper

Bike I can understand but rider weight?

14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If you interpret that sentence as "minimum bike weight" and "minimum rider weight" it makes no sense. I read it as "minimum bike+rider weight" which to me, pushing 190, sounds great.

r6boater likes this.
  15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

bike and rider weight have to be separate because each model has its own minimum weight. u could do a combined weight per model, but thats exactly the same thing.

adding a minimum rider weight accomplishes the same thing as a combined weight regulation. plus, it also prevents teams with heavy riders from trying really hard or spending $$ to reduce the bike weight, not that the rules allow much.

I suspect min rider weight might also cut down on too many riders cutting too much weight, which could be a good thing.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

We have one of the biggest riders but still have 8lbs added to the bike to be legal. The only weight reducer mods we have are an exhaust and 415 chain set.

An adjustment to the "package" of rider+bike for a minimum weight would be awesome for us.

17. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Minimum rider weight?! Makes no sense... there are 14 year olds who weigh 85lbs and guys in their 20s (or close) who are 150+... how do you suppose having a minimum rider weight would work and attempt to even things up? Add lead to the little kids' boots? To work, it would need to be combined weight

Or am I totally not understanding how it would work?

18. Scott S.

Thats the point. On the otherhand instead of burdoning teams with hp, weight, and ckeckbooks let the brands go for the win. If the grid in 2019 turns green, so be it. KTM obviously wanted it but the price literaly doubled from the old cup bike

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  19. Scott S.

Minimum weight, bike plus rider sitting on the bike at race end.

r6boater likes this.
  20. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

And I know of three people who have tried to buy them and they aren't available...yet homologated?! Doesn't make sense.