1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safety Wire Recommendations

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by TheScarpino, Jan 24, 2018.

1. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Hey guys, getting the bike ready and doing the front end now. The brake line banjo bolts (OEM) do they need to be drilled also? These are the bolts the hold the brake line to the caliper. Front and rear question.

2. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

The banjo bolts do not have to be wired

05Yamabomber likes this.
  3. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Thanks. back in the day, these all had to be wired WSMC..

4. duc995

duc995 Yep…

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

ah, was talking to someone this weekend that thought they did need to be. on an R6 isn't there some U shaped bypass on the front of the engine that needs it's bolts wired? or is this a non-issue too.
    currently have to do front fork pinch bolts, caliper bolts, front and rear axle nuts, oil fill cap dip stick and drain plug, possible U shaped bypass on front of r6 motor.. i have to be missing something.

6. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

How the hell are you supposed to change a wheel at first call if there's a half hour of safety wiring to do after you swap it?! :eek:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How can you take 30 minutes to wire a front end?

TLR67 likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

spring clips? :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you can't wire an entire front end in 5 minutes you need to get your ass in the garage and practice wiring because you truly suck at it :D

TLR67 likes this.
  10. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Only thing missing is oil filter. That oil bypass hose on the front of the R6, I just siliconed the bolts. But that's for CCS.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd prefer it be wired since the oil is under pressure but silicone will work for your first weekend with us.

Bruce likes this.
  12. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I also did my drain plug for the coolant., radiator cap. I use MotoD clips for my axles and pinch bolts. pre-wired with clips also for my caliper bolts.

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yes, and yes on coolant drain plug on water pump and rad cap. always do those. will get the pinch bolts done. one of my bikes, Rob Jensen's old bike, has the pinch bolts and caliper bolts drilled already.

thanks.. my oil COOLer bolt is always wired, but the "U" shaped bypass on front of engine is what we are talking about ? will still give it a go to have wired ...

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, pretty sure that falls under the oil lines requirement.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

"reasonably" priced safety wire pliers? I've used about 4 different HF pliers, and they truly blow. . ..

Chaplain45 likes this.
  16. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

JBinSD likes this.
  17. JBinSD

JBinSD Well-Known Member

Thanx, gotta be better than the HF crap, will give 'em a "spin".

18. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

They look pretty similar to the HF ones fwiw. Though the HF reviews are terrible compared to the Amazon ones I linked. Maybe a similar design with different manufacturing tolerances?

Last thing I want to do is give misleading advice.

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Any problems with using .028 safety wire? I've always used this but just now realized most stuff is the bigger .032.

20. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

.028 is fine, Jack. To be honest, given that maybe 1 out of 20 bikes I look at even have remotely correct use of safety wiring (direction, twists per inch, etc) it’s really just imho a bandaid used to give a little more confidence that the fasteners in question have been touched. Any good a&p out there would go into convulsions looking at out bike safety wiring.