1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Frame Tab / Steering Stop Question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by KrooklynSV, Jun 12, 2018.

1. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

So...I'm looking to buy a Duc Streetfighter 848 and find one that's a great bargain. Turns out the steering stop/frame tab has some damage. Question for those of you in the know of Ducati frames - is this common? Can I correct it with some heat and some properly molded pieces of wood (was going to use other side as a template, so it would sandwiched/corrected as best I could). Is is worth it? The wifey really wants me to stop thinking about this bike, but it's such a deal I need other's input. FWIW - title is clear, but bike is too far for me to look at in-person. Pics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. wanderlust

wanderlust Well-Known Member

Happened to my first Streetfighter. Damage to the steering stop was minimal but visible after a 35/40 mph lowside — the photos you posted look like it was in a pretty good wreck. Insurance totaled the bike out because of frame damage.
    Define great price? How many miles? Service complete with records? Can’t speak much for the 848’s, but I love my 1098 SFS.
    People wreck bikes, shit happens, it’s not the end of the world — but if you ever have a claim for something, prepare to have the bike totaled out of your adjuster sees the tab.

3. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Mileage is ~4K, no service records and clean title. Yeah, what's odd is that nothing else is damaged (opposite side mirror is missing though). I suspect it was dropped, but perhaps it was in a nastier accident. You think that damage is likely from an accident?

4. wanderlust

After the insurance company totaled my bike, I bought my bike back from the insurance company and when it was all said and done nothing else looked damaged. I replaced all of the broken and scuffed parts — but replacing the frame is not cost effective. I think they paid out $18k, I bought it back for $5500, droppped another $2500 into fixing the broken bits and sold it for $11500. That was in 2012 though so I’m not sure what the market is like now. If it was a really smoking deal, I would definitely think about picking it up — but i would want to meticulously inspect everything in person prior to dropping the cash, preferably with a reputable Ducati Ducati tech’s eyes and knowhow.

I suspect it was dropped too...from the looks of it it was dropped off of a loading dock or a truck going down the road. Like I said before — shit happens and everything eventually gets wrecked, just don’t plan on getting a free pass from your insurance company if they would ever happen to see it.

5. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

So, for people that ride these Ducs on the track, what do they do to keep this from happening to their frames? Is there some sort of aftermarket steering bumper you can put on the fork legs to prevent your frame from being totaled every time you lowside?

6. wanderlust

I don’t know about the guys who ride the trellis frame Ducs, I know my Panigale has aftermarket stops...but they’ve been fixed multiple times because I try to yard sale the bike every time I ride or race, but I don’t care about the steering stops, it’s a track bike and shit happens. I don’t know of many guys riding SF at track days or racing Streetfighters, but if you get it out and ride it on a track you should be comfortable with the possibility of wadding it up. I’m sure you could find some type of bump stops, but the SF is a discontinued model and it’s mildly frustrating to find some parts as it is — you’d probably be better off designing and building custom bump stops yourself.

At the end of the day, if you want the bike — go look it over and if you like it — buy it!

Busted up steering stop tabs aren’t the end of the world, just be sure to look the bike over before you pull the trigger. Good luck with everything.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Does the steering interfere with anything when it goes full-lock to the right?
    Is that an adjustable screw on the lower triple? Use it to make a correction.
    Done.

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Looks like it, I can't believe that didn't break before the frame piece bent. I ripped my steering stops off a few times, after the third time fixing it I said fuck it because it really wasn't saving anything for me.

9. fastfreddie

That piece on the frame is just some stamped sheet steel. Could prolly bend it out of shape with thumb pressure.
    At any rate, not worth agonizing over.

10. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

You could be right. However, without having easy access to the bike and seeing just how bad the bend is in-person, it's a bit of a gamble.

11. fastfreddie

You could fit a small steel piece in the backside, a larger steel piece covering the front side and clamp 'em together to take the crease out (where the bolt impacted). Then, carefully bend/twist it back to "close" and don't worry about it being misshapen. Clean it up, spray some red on it.
    It's not a deal breaker.

12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Glue a 1/4 oz wheel weight on top of the stops..it absorbs the impact and only lessens the stop by a few unused degrees.

13. fastfreddie

Glue...it's how you weld lead to paint. :crackup:

Britt likes this.