1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Those of you who play motorcycle racing video games...

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, Jun 12, 2018.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

What do you use as a controller?

I'm trying to study by playing Isle of Man TT (on Steam) using an Xbox One controller, and I will freely admit that I fucking suck and it's because I can't seem to mesh with the steering. I've tried all different sorts of sensitivity and dead-zone settings and no matter what I do I still find new ways to smash into barriers.

Do you guys use the steering-wheel setups? Do they even make handlebar setups?

2. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

That games controls are awful too. That is not helping.

3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

The analog stick you use for steering - push the stick all the way forward when traveling in a straight line. When you are turning, keep the stick forward while rolling the stick in the direction you want to turn. It will make the turning smoother.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

All of your steering should be using the left stick. Your acceleration/braking should be done with the right stick (up to accelerate, down to brake)............buttons (even the ones that a force-sensitive) are far too finicky to be smooth.

From there, you just need to learn to be smooth with your inputs.

This is how I've done it with all console racing games, motorcycle/car or otherwise.

7. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

For myself the steering input is always the left stick but I configure the rest like this. Right Stick forward is throttle, Right Stick down is lean back, L2 is rear brake, R2 is front brake, R1 is tuck. I agree with usually just using the down RS as brake but being able to play with the front vs rear and also body position changes things.

8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

You must be using an "automatic" transmission setting? Either that or you have some crazy dexterity.

I prefer making my own gearshifts (computer will never "hold" a gear or short-shift where necessary).

I've thought about putting more effort into messing with body position, but it's just too much work for the limited playtime I get..........I just want to sit down and have fun for 30-45 minutes or so.

9. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Yea I just run auto. In bike games things are just too crazy and if your running a good pace and lines it will keep the revs up.

BigBird likes this.
  10. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Watch onboards dude...you’ve already been there

Onboards are far more effective at your stage

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

I've tried two gens of Ride, and can't get the "feel". Similar to a car game too. Was said just have to get used to relying on sight than feel, but for a motorcycle game it's more difficult for me. But I just suck anyway, so there's that.

12. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Negative. Well partially. I use the forward and back on the left stick for weight distribution. So yea forward in the straights, then throw it back under braking to keep the ass down, then roll it into the corner as you said. On xbox. I use R2 for throttle, L2 for front brake, X for rear brake, A for tuck, L1 for upshift, R1 for down shift. No use of the right stick for me unless I wanna look back real quick. Get in the tuck much sooner exiting corners than you think is needed. Helps widen and smooth out your exits.

Part of the problem is also turn-in physics on every bike game for the past 10 years. I think the older games might have actually been slighter better in this aspect. Problem is if youre moving in a straight line and turn right, your upper body stays in the exact same position on the track for a moment while your wheels move out to the left to create the lean. And its rather exaggerated. Takes a lot of getting used to and in the meantime, you end up constantly making small steering inputs to adjust which fuck up the smoothness of your entry. If you don't believe, get on a straight and get to the far left side on the white line. Then turn right. Your wheels will end up 3 feet off the track.

13. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Useful on what???? He only plays NBA Jams 03

Nick_OMC and Funkm05 like this.
  14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

eh, it's been a hot minute :/ this game is super frustrating tho because studying it stage-by-stage i pick the course back up right quick, but then still fail miserably to set any decent time because i can't fuckin control the thing lol

15. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

I think Tourist Trophy had the best feel to it. About that point is where ive found it got far more difficult to control car or motorcycle games regardless of the programmer or platform.

KrooklynSV and sharky nrk like this.
  16. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

The problem is that it is easier to get a real motorcycle through a 100mph corner than it is to play a video game.

Someone please invent a good, realistic, and AFFORDABLE ($1000) moto-controller.
    I have an idea that involves a junk bike (no engine), and a big flywheel to make countersteering possible.
    I guess it could be done with computers and hydraulics, too.

17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Not entirely sure Livengood doesn't play the games FOR him...

:D

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I learned everything I know from Pat Mooney Jr.

19. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

So true! Its crazy how hard some of the games are. The physics are just awful, I don't know if they have gotten any better, but the fact the when you turn right the tires move the left on the pavement is just weird. When leaning, the bike rotates about the center instead of at the contact patch. I keep waiting for somebody to say that a new game is worth a crap.

I'm hoping LeanGP actually becomes a thing. It will either eventually get cheaper, or it will start some competition. I would gladly spend $1200 on a well sorted motorcycle sim controls.

20. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

On Ride and MotoGP, steering is definitely challenging for me with the PS4 controller. Using the analog stick, I still have trouble making subtle enough changes without serving all over the track. I haven't made any controller adjustments but I am wondering if there are some that might tame things down a little bit.