1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minis in the Southeast

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Mongo, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So the boss has told me I can start putting minis at any track I like. Any interest at Roebling?

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

damn those will be some draft battles on the 100s/groms!

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

If i can make it, i’d bring the grim

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

If i wasn't so fat and wouldn't get my fat ass handed to me by t5, i would come with the grom

5. APO2112

APO2112 Well-Known Member

I would if my YZ85 qualified.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why wouldn't it?

7. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Tally??

I just got a Grom too :)

8. APO2112

Getting a belly pan made in one thing but its really the 105cc that I'm running soon...I can race at the Herrin Compound and NC/SFL MiniGP with that displacement but not with WERA do the Formula 80 displacement limitations.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They always run at Talladega and Barber.

JTRC51 likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We do more of a track day tech for the minis.

Is it more than 85cc?

11. APO2112

Yes. As I'm sure you guys know, modifying these little bikes is cheap and fun so if you want to build a decent "GP" bike its like $5 and coke to get it done. Look at the class rules for www.sflminigp.com and see what makes sense to you guys. I think if there was more allowances for modified bikes, you'd get a better turnout. Plus, who doesn't like seeing little, pissed off minis ripping it up with all the trick parts!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm lost - our rules are superbike and formula - which is essentially keep the engine and chassis together for the 50 class and do/build whatever you like in the 80 class. Doesn't get more wide open than that.

13. APO2112

I could be reading it wrong, but Formula 80 is limited on cc's, correct? I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'd like to fully understand the rules. As I read the Formula 80 CC limits, I can't use anything over 85cc:

Formula 80
    66cc to 85cc 2-stroke machines based on Formula rules
    126cc to 150cc 4-stroke mahcines based on Formula rules

So, by this understanding, I can't use my YZ85 with a bigbore kit (ie Athena 105cc kit). Also it means that you can't use modified Honda CRF150's, which are pretty popular because they use a similar size chassis to the XR100 but have the extra cc's. They also have the capability to be punched out to 195cc. Herrin Compound classes allow for this type of mods as well as the North Carolina/Southern Florida MiniGP series.

The rules WERA has are fine for anyone with smaller bikes like the KX65/YZ65/XR100 etc, but it's limiting to those of use with "bigger" little bikes. I'm not complaining, just pointing out why (for me specifically) it's not an option.

This is my YZ85, it's ridiculously small for me and with the 12" wheels it sits lower than XR's and other more common minibikes. I'm not asking for the rules to be changed for little ole me, but I think there could be some loosening of the cc limits, especially considering WERA operates on big tracks by comparison. Max speed of my bike is about 55-60mph for reference.

[​IMG]

14. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

[email protected] looks fun. Yall got me wantin to race minis.

APO2112 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay so now you're talking 100+cc 2 strokes and almost 200cc four strokes. To me that is way more than minis but I'll look at it. I've seen 2-strokes with that displacement and big wheels that give clubman bikes a run for their money which is why I haven't looked at adding another mini class.

APO2112 likes this.
  16. APO2112

Good to go bossman, Thanks for listening!

17. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Smiling.....

18. John Branch

John Branch 90125

So Zach finally got all As and one B on his last report card! He safe for the summer! Thursday we pick him up from camp. Been there 1 month! This weekend hopefully get to go run Tmgp at Denton! So if anyone lives close or live in TEXAS come check out some COOL MINIS this weekend! 5007ED91-7402-4DE5-AD9F-3B9F613541C4.jpeg D2DF1392-75F3-4D58-B38F-08A428F5C947.jpeg

sharky nrk likes this.
  19. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Hopefully we will come run some WERA SOON!:rock:

20. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Is there a website for this? I live in Arlington and been looking for something close, but don’t know anyone from racing here.