1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who tows with a van?

Discussion in 'General' started by JBowen33, May 24, 2018.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

I towed a 8x20 with a 1998 GMC Savana 3500 passenger with the 7.4l. Thing was a freight train. Went coast to coast with it with no issues.
    Vans are way better for towing than a pickup any day. I also think you get some aerodynamic advantages.

2. jpence

jpence Well-Known Member

Your van must have a problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

I think the title was when AOD meets zero percent financing, or something like that. LOL.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

6x12 even pretty loaded shouldn't affect a 350 hardly at all. Something is weird there - or it's just getting used to the feel.

418 likes this.
  5. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Every one needs to stop telling people E350s are good. It needs to stay a secret. Go ahead and get the newer 6, 6.4, 6.7L diesels but keep your damn hands off the 7.3s :mad:

6. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

My E350 7.3 can't get out of it's own way (the van 7.3 doesn't have an intercooler) but just keeps ticking. The only thing I've ever towed was a 6x12 with two bike in it along with two in the van and you could barely tell it was back there.

7. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

OK this is good info to share

But then you went and said this. Not OK

8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wow, that is nice.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Here I will help you out. I'm not in love with the 7.3 like so many are. I had one in a 2000 Ford truck. Compared to the cheap duramax I replaced it with, the Ford lost a turbo and then within a year lost the rebuilt turbo, they probably did something wrong? Plus the Ford transmission in tow mode with a trailer, doesn't even come close to the working as well as the Allison. Also, heard the 99's have a known trans issue or converter issue? I bought one on eBay, paid a mechanic to look at it before shipping, and was able to back out based on a non disclosed bad transmission or torque converter.

Having said that, if I bought a tune on the Ford it may have come closer to the duramax on power. I never did a tune, but even if I had, the transmission difference is huge.

Also the Ford pressurized the coolant system and we instantly yanked the heads, presuming a blown head gasket. It wasn't a head gasket, the copper inserts the injectors go into can lose the seal and appear like you have a blown head gasket.

I learned they can be repaired while the head is still on, and I had that done on my 7.3 International tow truck which had the same problem. I think it was 200 to 300 per bad injector/insert.

My 02 Duramax has the crappy engine regarding injectors. I put around 70-100k miles on injectors that I replaced and they are smoking again. I haven't fixed it and just deal with it.

Even though the injectors are a huge PITA, I like the Duramax/alllison combo much better versus a 7.3. Now if I had a bullet proof 6.0 or newer, I might even like that better than the Duramax/Allison combo? I've not owned a newer one to see how the transmission performs.

In 2004.5 and later they evidently fixed the bad Duramax injector problem.

I'm sitting in the airport for 4 hours, probably too much info?

Good luck

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The 7.3 was bulletproof compared to the Duramax, just as the old Cummins was bulletproof even compared to the 7.3. They're all slow compared to the new ones.

Not sure why you lost one turbo much less two.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Don't know why. The old 7.3 is so much slower/less power, in a stock to stock comparison, I would rather drive my Duramax and budget injectors every 70 to 100k miles.

Also for people that haven't towed with both, the old 7.3 in tow mode never gets into 4th gear or locked up drive, whatever it is called?

The Duramax does, and also downshifts much better when coming down the grapevine or El Cajon passes. It's almost like driving a diesel motorhome with a Jake brake or without one, the Duramax/allison DRIVING EXPERIENCE is far superior when comparing these older trucks.

I think I got 1-2 mpg better economy too, while running faster. I beleive it was 8.9 vs. 10.9 mpg's fully loaded, going through mountain passes and driving like Broome. I tried to roll between 70 and 80 with a 30 foot toy hauler and bikes, engines, generators, often friends bikes, etc., so I dont worry about the weight.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  13. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

@Jongo yanks his 25' travel trailer around with a 7.3 E350. I've never heard it downshift going 70-75. He pulls with a standard hitch too, drama free.

14. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Just a little clarification........F350 DUALLY, not a just a wimpy little SRW! And........I'm doing OK now. Tick bite about three weeks ago, showing several signs of Lymes Disease. Dr. is treating me for it, as if I for sure have it, as the blood work won't be back till sometime next week. I was pretty much non-functional for several days.....on the road to recovery.

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

My old 89 had a 12k tow ratimg with the 5.8/C6 combo.
    Great van, just too damn big for a dd. Look for the church owned vans. Their usually in better shape than the kid haulers or ambulets.

Oh! If it’s a 5 lug 250 series, run away! 8 lug only in this game.

16. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

The only issue I’ve ever had with my van was there was a coating on the inside of the fuel tank that started coming off and wou clog e erything, mimicked a faulty fuel pump. Of corse I replaced the fuel pump (twice) before figuring that out, once I replaced the tank it’s been bulletproof. I bought it with 150k and just turned 275k.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Lemme guess...ethanol strikes again?

18. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Well, that will just be your little secret.

19. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

That van is up to over 17K! The only reason I didn't get the 7.3 in the van after having a great experience with the one I had in the Excursion is, I understand to change injectors or head work requires a body off job. No thanks. Paid 800.00 for this E350 Super Duty from the from the forest service. Added the Alcoa`s used for 350.00, some fat Helwig sway bars front and rear, killer tunes and the interior is almost done. They kept great service records. Its the 5.4 2V (plugs blow out and don`t seize in!) engine with a 3:50 rear axle ratio. It has the 4R100 OD transmission like the diesel did, not sure if its built to the same specs with the gasser. If so it should last. Power is good, haven`t towed with it yet though. One trip back east and four to Cali so far.. no issues.

Attached Files:

20. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I rarely tow with our van. Whole reason for the van is to avoid towing an enclosed trailer. However, when I have its fine. Agree with the others on the 7.3 E350. That thing needs looking at, something is amiss. We have a 1/2 ton GM passenger van with a 5.3, biggest trailer I've pulled is a 7x16 with a Harley dresser and some crates from cen Fl up to Bowling Green KY. I was kind to the transmission and it pulled great. Nice and stable, plenty of power. Weight distributing hitch.