1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd gen EX500 tire selection

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by ineedanap, Mar 25, 2018.

1. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

With stock wheels, is the preferred track size 120/70 front and 140/70 rear? I did some searching but everything I see is old. Not sure if it's still valid.

2. Killswitch

Killswitch Redneckistanian

I run Bridgestones on my stock rims and use a 120r10 front and a 140rs10 rear.

ineedanap likes this.
  3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I think the EX500 has a 2.75 or 3.00 front rim so a 110 would fit best. In many instances a 120 on a 3.00 rim will distort and you will never get all the way over to the tire's edge so the handling may be comprised. Pirelli has the Supercorsa 110/70-17 in the SC1 and the 140/70-17 in either the SC1 or SC2 race compounds or the more street orientated Rosso II in the same sizes and these work great especially on small bikes for track days or racing. And there very inexpensive. Attached is the tech sheet for the race tires

Attached Files:

ineedanap likes this.
  4. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Are the 250-300-400 twins running the same rim width?

5. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I used to run a 120 instead of a 110 on my gs500 because it settled down the twitchiness that was inherent in that bike. I grabbed the wrong tire from the stack and mounted a 120 on it by mistake. By the time I noticed it, I had already done several sessions at the track and there was nothing I could do about it. The front end felt way more planted and stable in the turns with a 120 than it ever did with a 110.

Killswitch likes this.
  7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I preferred a 120 when I raced an ex500,over the 110. Same on the fzr400. The 110 turns noticably quicker,but a 120 just feels better, so even if its placebo effect,I go quicker on the 120.

ineedanap and Killswitch like this.
  8. ineedanap

I usually try to support my local trackside dealer, but he is a michelin guy. I tried their 150/60 (all they carried) and 120/70 and it did not work well with those narrow rims. Made for some weird handling at full lean.

So...I guess I will try your advice. :) Who does pirellis trackside that can ship a 110 SC1 and 140 SC2 to Michigan? STT is where I go for pirelli but they don't carry those sizes.

9. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

+1 on the Pirellis, race compounds in the correct sizes, made to work as a pair.

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

STG is the Pirelli peeps in Michigan. In certain regions there isn't a lot of small bikes racing so probably the reason you can't find them there. BUT STG should be able to order them for you.

11. ineedanap

I checked with them. They can’t get a 140... :( Anybody else?

12. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

We have them in stock.

ineedanap likes this.
  13. ineedanap

Will pm you tonight. Thanks