1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The local dealers really make it hard sometimes...

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, May 17, 2018.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I really would love to patronize my local brick and mortar dealership's parts dept but I literally see no point in it anymore. For easily the last 5 years they have never had a part in stock that I've needed (and I'm not there looking for some antiquated part off an obscure 20 year old bike), the time it takes to order and ship to them is generally longer than if I ordered it myself from an online retailer, and it costs more to boot.

There's literally no upside (as a customer) to giving them business.[/end rant] :(

throwdown, Pixelator and TurboBlew like this.
  2. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

If the importer in Athens has it, then my local dealer can order it and I have it in my hands in 1 or 2 working days. If not, it usually takes a week or two. Fortunately it only happened once.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I don't buy a lot of OEM parts for my bike outside the oil filter and washer, but they have always had it at my local dealer. Granted both parts fit a lot of Yamahas and even a few other bikes. It is cheap enough that I don't even care that it costs a little more. If they would have to order it in and it takes longer and costs more, I would order it on-line.

For the Aprilia street bike the nearest dealer is two hours away, so I just order from AF1.

gapman789 likes this.
  4. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

My local dealer has 200+ units on the floor and probably just as many in crates outside. 0 handlegrips for anything in stock and 3-5 days to get from them. Grips must create too much overhead.

Nick_OMC likes this.
  5. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I ran into a similar issue yesterday. Went to the local brick and mortar dealer and they were unable to assist me. I would like to support them more because it helps our industry but when I drive 30 minutes to get shot down, it doesn't help. And when you try and call ahead, you can't seem to get a straight answer other then "come in and lets see what we can do".

6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I'm betting there isn't enough people like you that want to support the parts department to make it worth it to them to keep the stuff around, but thats a guess.

BigBird likes this.
  7. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

If they don't have the basic parts in stock that you need, how do you support them? Calling my local dealers parts department is a huge waste of time, they don't want to help you and I'm not driving 30 minutes for them to tell me in person that they can order the part and have it in stock in 3-5 days.

Pixelator likes this.
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Probably not.....though I would be curious to know what parts they DO predominantly keep regular stock of. Maybe they actually ONLY keep parts from an obscure 20 year old model back there, and all the rest of the stuff they just order on an as needed basis haha.

I wonder if dealer parts depts will eventually go the way of Blockbuster Video.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I've had a great working relationship with my local guy. I just text him what I need, get a text when it comes in, and I get to go to the dealership when it comes in. Sometimes I'll drag the kids along so they can ogle motorbikes. I always loved that as a kid.

I know I'm paying a little more, its less convenient and it can take longer, but its paid dividends several times. I've been allowed to borrow specialty tools, and I can call and pick their brain if I hit a technical roadblock.

10. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

It is tough, every once in a while I use to go to my local dealer, great guys, but the parts department price was just too much.
    Once I needed spark plugs for my CBR, didnt ask the price, was pretty surprised when it costed me almost 6 bucks for all 4 of them. Still payed for it, but unfortunately wouldnt buy again.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Um Ive been a pretty avid motorcycle consumer since the 1970s... I just cant get over shops still use the "Oh I can order that" excuse in 2018. Id agree that the business can be very difficult to stock for. At least save me the return trip to your shop by sending my order directly to my mailing address.

R Acree likes this.
  12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A friend of mine went to a north jersey shop and wanted a set of spark plugs. Him & the parts guy argued with me that the specific plug he needs is not available at the auto parts store. I let him pay $140 for 4 plugs...lol.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

There is only 1 dealership in my area that I will patronize because of that crap.
    My personal favorite is when you tell them exactly what you need and why but the parts guy insists that you do not want what you asked for. Even though i told the guy the bike was a modified race bike he went to the microfiche and argued with me over what I wanted. Not a positive experience and I have not gone in since.

14. fresh meat

fresh meat Active Member

I'm pretty much the same way with a small local shop when I need parts/help with my kids dirt bikes. I know I can get it cheaper/quicker elsewhere, but I'd rather support a shop that I know will be there for me when I need it. Example, my kid blew up his motor in his bike and I didn't have the tool needed to get the stator off. Called the shop owner said to come down with it, he pulled it off free of charge, after the shop had closed for the day... Good customer service is the only way a lot of these small places are going to survive in today's online world, so if your lucky enough to have a good shop near by, please support them.

15. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ that kinda service and relationship is awesome but not always common at the dealers. Case in point, didn't have a tool I needed to knock out a job. Literally a 5 minute or less thing. I asked them what they would charge or if they could help me out (part off the bike and in my hand - super easy). $65 flat starting fee for any off unit work. I walked out, ordered the tool, and did it myself - less than a minute to complete. They could have earned a fair bit of business from me by even charging something reasonable, $20 or something, or better yet free and then I would have gone and spent that $20 or whatever on some chain lube or something. Now .... yeah not so much.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This probably isn't too far from the truth. I bet they have all of their parts dept stock budget tied up in old parts for old bikes from back in the days when you HAD to go to the bike shop to get parts (pre-internet) and can’t stock any new stuff.

BigBird likes this.
  17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Is that a typo? $6 was too much?

18. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I would love to support the brick and mortars too, but my experiences and treatment at too many of those establishments has been exactly what is echoed above: prices double what the part can be had for elsewhere, nothing in stock, parts guys who want to argue what you need, stuff that takes way too long to come in or never does and on and on.

As someone racing on a budget and doing their own work, I have two needs: I need the part ASAP and I need it at the best price I can get it. These trump any fuzzy feelings I might get walking into a dealership (which are usually none because of the frustration that ensues).

On the flip side of that, I have always been willing to pay a little more to the vendors at the racetrack, especially the tire guys (e.g. Stickboy). I appreciate their presence and expertise and positive attitude towards the sport. If there were local dealers more like that, they would get more of my coin, without a doubt.

Stumpy likes this.
  19. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

My local is pretty good. Even has zook engine parts in stock.

20. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

If I needed racing stuff I always went to proline in Lawrenceville, GA or Honda of Lawrenceville. Proline is owned by a former wera racer and the Honda dealership was also ran by a former WERA racer. Other than that I never had any luck with dealers being helpful, unless they thought you were buying a new bike.