1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who like to eat enter - Need help picking out a fridge

Discussion in 'General' started by OGs750, May 16, 2018.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Moving into a new house next month and in need of a refrigerator. I know plenty of you like to eat so I'm sure there are some good opinions in here.

What brands are recommended, which to stay away from?

Is ice/water in the door worth it? Wife-to-be wants this because she doesn't like the idea of people putting their hands in an ice bin, but I think fridges look better without them and thinks she needs to get over this. If yes to this, are dual ice makers worth it?

Any of you have counter depth fridges? Again, I think they look clean, but worry about their capacity.

Any other features worth having? Are those dual door things where you can open the door the the shelves without having to open the whole door convenient to have or just another seal that can allow cold air to escape?

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Happy wife, happy life!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The one with the big flat screen on the front that you can tap and see what's inside. It also has to have internet/tv built in.

End of Thread!

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ice/water in the door is nice. Icemakers take up space. go with one.

BigBird likes this.
  5. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

We have had absolutely horrible results with our very expensive Samsung French Door fridge. We love having the ice/water in the door feature but the icemaker frosts up constantly and has to be disassembled and defrosted (by yours truly) about every 3-4 weeks. Might as well have a 1950's fridge you have to manually defrost.

Stay away from Samsung. Pretty but horrible.

ETA: https://www.classaction.org/samsung-refrigerator-ice-maker-lawsuit

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm a proponent of simple. I don't need my fridge to text me. The more complicated the appliance is, the more that can, and will, go wrong.

OGs750 and speedluvn like this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Freezer on the bottom.

Yzasserina likes this.
  8. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I don't like them because they are source of bacteria build up - The catch tray and the lines themselves. Gross.
    Get a scoop for the ice bin.

Yzasserina likes this.
  9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Ice in door are problems waiting to happen, and reduce effective volume of fridge. Most modern residential units are pretty similar.
    I got this one last year and its been spot on.

10. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG!!!!!

Id buy a fucking Yeti before I bought another Samsung appliance.

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ours is very similar (outside has wood panels to match cabinets). Ours has a water dispenser inside the door. Our Samsung has been trouble free.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I vote ice in door, french door, freezer on the bottom. We've got an LG that's 7-10 years old and it's been great. Only issue is occasionally the ice in the bin in the door will freeze into a block if we're gone for a while but a quick smack knocks it loose so no big deal.

One weird thing on it they may have fixed on newer models is the water dispenser is above and to the front of the ice dispenser - only sucks at night with a solid container you're filling since you can't see the water level. I just go by sound now :D

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

We have the water dispenser inside the fridge, not the door. I'm not a fan of the in door dispenser. I agree with the scoop method for ice.
    Ours is a kitchenaid, only three years old and have had zero issues.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Also on ours - no issues ever with mold/gunk buildup on the ice maker or bin.

The french door/freeze on bottom is a huge deal - you can put an entire leftover pizza in them.

15. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

You can get a fridge with an ice-maker that doesn't have a dispenser if you don't like making it yourself.

My parents have one like that for their bar fridge - that SOB will make ice and shoot it at you like a T-shirt cannon when you open the freezer door.
    It is really excited to make ice for you.
    You can hear the thing cranking away from upstairs anticipating pelting you with solid water. As you walk past it will start to rumble... hoping for someone to open the door so it can force it's load on you.

"You have some water? TAKE MY ICE!"
    "I see you have an industrial sized glass for your Segrams and diet coke Mommy Caustic, looks like you NEED MY ICE!"
    "You just sneaking a Popsicle? Fuck you, TAKE SOME ICE!"

16. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I would stick with the old school brands.
    Frigidaire (sp), Maytag, Kenmore, (Kenmore is usually made by one of the other brands.) Whirlpool

I just repaired my garage frig that is maybe 30 years old. The repair guy told me the new Samsung and LG frigs always have something go out.
    Just too much going on with them. The more basic the more reliable.

17. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

We have this Kitchenaid https://www.kitchenaid.com/major-appliances/refrigeration/refrigerators.html

Counter Depth - love it since our kitchen is long and narrow. We can put a whole large size pizza box in it. We just have to be slightly creative since the wife has the wine rack in it. This fridge is just slightly taller than standard height. It makes a difference. I like the shallower depth, we have a lot less “lost” condiments in the back of the shelves.

Water inside - I’m not a huge fan of water / ice on door. Water usually ends up dripping and marking the stainless.

Ice Bin - this fridge has no ice dispenser. We just pull the freezer drawer and the ice bin is attached to it, we can flip a little lever to disconnect from door. It came with an ice scoop to get ice so I’m not reaching my dirty paws into the bin.

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I've had great luck with a 3 year old GE, French doors, lower freezer. We use a countertop ice maker, so we didn't get the in door dispenser. It's slate color, the black stainless looks nice, and the newer flat black stainless looks awesome.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I was warned three years ago when I asked the same question...do not buy Samsung. But my wife was seduced by their flash. 14 months later, icemaker quits working.

In case this hasn't been mentioned...

DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG!!!

OGs750 likes this.
  20. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I'm quoting you about the in-door ice maker being a source of bacteria. I've found that appealing to her germophobe side generally yields positive results.