1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alta Redshift

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurlon, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, given the wide range of riders on this forum, anyone got direct experience with the Alta electric dirtybikes? I've been really liking the idea of an MXR but there is very little real world data out there for me to read up on. This would be replacing an 09 KTM 300 XC-W that doesn't get much use and is likely suffering as a result. Light road and woods duty, occasional slow MX track day. I'd also look for it to go along side my sumo project to be a second means of getting on a sumo track. I'm liking the idea of a bike that basically you keep lubed and otherwise don't have to maintain, not really caring about gearing when swapping between dirt/sumo for the most part is appealing as well.

Worries - it's heavier than either of my smokers with little room to shed weight, keeping the batt topped up when racing / longer woods days. I'm also curious how Maine will treat it title wise, for gassers under 300cc they don't title which makes getting a street reg crazy easy.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Britt does. Hopefully he'll take a break and answer at some point.

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

our dirtybike dealer here is offering a test ride this weekend but i'm outta town...

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

6. Kelly Rees

Kelly Rees Well-Known Member

I rode it. Its pretty badass. I will own one before summer is over.

7. isaltyko

isaltyko Well-Known Member

my friend had one for a few weeks.. and returned it
    great power but in real life off road riding maybe 20 mile range of easy trail. Coupled with unreliable battery gauge (goes form 1/2 charge to zero) he ended up pushing it home more then once.

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

That is not normal in anyway....I hope they gave him a different one, or made good on the return.

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The behavior of the dash sounds like a faulty display. That’s not normal. I can ride mine for approximately two hours on the trail. That’s plenty for me on a Sunday afternoon. 25-30 miles is the average for a fast trail rider. The new MXr charges from empty in 1.5 hours at 240v. So you can eat some lunch and go ride some more. They are fun to ride and can climb anything in Map 1. Traction control is built in.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

how do you adjust it? Something on the bars or the position sensor near the motor?

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

From my understanding, it comes from emulated flywheel mass by the ECU. On Map 1 it emulates a BIG flywheel so while it'll allow decent torque, it immediately dials it back if there is a sudden spike in RPM climb, ala a Bazzaz setup. Not end user adjustable, and not really true traction control but the effect is good enough from what I'm reading.

12. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

Look up Alex woskob on instagram. He's been back flipping them, ice pond riding and in general badassness on them for at least 6 months now. He loves it.

13. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

The best part is they are quiet. You can ride in so many more places.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I live in the woods in Maine. I could ride an R1 with knobbies and nothing but resonators and no one would notice. :D I do like the idea of not having to wear ear plugs actually.

YZROOSTINYA likes this.
  15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

There’s a button on the bar that lets you select from four different maps.

16. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Alex and his brother Ash are monsters on dirt. Their videos are legit.

17. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

There's one in the local woods series. I'm not sure how far they'll go on a charge, but the race length is 1hr and he finishes every race without any issues. I think he's leading in points in his class, so it must be a pretty solid bike.

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If all goes well I'm going to try and throw a leg over an MXR tomorrow. Might be limited to parking lot putt-putt but that's more than I've gotten so far.

19. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Try very very hard to get a ride in the woods. I have to go dig for it, but I made a very short vidoe of my very short test ride. After 1 mile (really 100 yards) I was completely sold. I have a decent down payment for one, but I can't quite justify buying one just yet as I don't ride quite enough these days.

Of course, with effectively zero maintenance, I would be ready to ride as soon as my boots dried out, no fiddling with gear oil, pre mix, or air filter. Just tire pressure and go.

Sigh.

Edit: Here's my video. After watching this, I want more than ever to get one.

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Looking at google Maps, I see what looks like a simple woods loop behind the dealership, but I also spy a house right there so dunno who it belongs to. Weather may also muck things up who knows. Part of what I want to see are ergos, don't need much to feel those out. I've seen some complaints that the footpegs are low, and actually foul up when you case jumps/etc.