1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K5 Liter- Raise it slightly, or leave it OEM?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by K51000, Apr 15, 2018.

1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I haven't gone to a track day- Yet.

I currently have 2 x K5 literbikes.- Semi long story

I'm taking one of them to 'The Dragon' area with 2 others riders from my area in May '18.
    I do try and ride the twisties usually when I ride. Not really into riding 'thru town' just to ride.

While working on my bikes, getting one ready, I noticed a different #stamped on the dogbones of the 2 x K5's.
    I THOUGHT that one of them had been lowered with the dogbones slightly.
    After a little research, it seems the first K5 I got actually has been raised slightly. More than likely for handling. He was a gear head/ did track days and raced some, etc.

The 2nd K5 I became owner of has the stock height dogbones- 41F stamped on them.

I have been doing some work on them, and currently have both of them suspended for the dogbone swap. I held off when I realized the 2nd bike had not been lowered.

But now I'm thinking;
    There both already suspended- why not just swap them out, making the one I'm likely to keep slightly raised, you know- for the 'turn in'.

This forum has the highest concentration of skilled riders on the planet.
    Question is:
    The bike you're likely keeping is currently stock dogboned.
    The swap is Free- and it's already set up- with plastics off, bike suspended, etc.
    Would you raise slightly the one you're most likely going to keep?
    (I can tippitoe a little more- no problem.)

2. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

put stock dog bones on and fit 6mm of spacers under the top shock mount clevis. done.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I've heard or this.
    Adding taking 3/8" off the dogbone length won't do?
    Which as you know, also raises the rear slightly too?

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I run the forks flush in the triples and a 5mm spacer in the shock clevis (stock dogbones). Also run the rear wheel as far back in the axle blocks as you can to effectively lengthen the swingarm.

K51000 likes this.
  5. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

yeah.. this!

K51000 likes this.
  6. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I've read that SB set up for the k5/6 often states to push the forks up a small bit, like 5mm in the triples also- mine are about that now. I"ve also read about extenders to get the triples even higher!
    Changing the dogbone does change the ratios of the pittman arm?
    I've often read the shim in the rear shock upper tower.
    As it looks right now- I'm not ready to get that nut atop the shock loose to put some washers in there.- 6+" of snow outside, And I've already put different fork tubes, tires including a 190/55 rear on stock wheels, and installed a -1/+1 Driven sprockets and a 520 RK Maxx chain. Also swapped out midpipes and mufflers- with a full carbon Yoshi on the 2nd bike. It had a Level One Racing one on it- too damn loud.
    I figure the +1 rear sprocket =/cancels the 55 profile rear tire. AND I'll now have the -1 up front. I did get a speed drd thingy to get the mileage/speed a bit more accurate- more worried about the mileage actually.

So- b/c shortening the pittman arm/dogbone 3/8" will raise it slightly-
    Still not the same as putting the shims in?

Due to weather/work schedule- I think I'm leaving the stock Dogbones on this one, complete some chasis cleaning, and get the plastics back on 'er.
    With work/family schedule chrunches- I have to have it all ready to trailer it to the Dragon area May 5th!