1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's kind of my point. We only had 12 of which 1/4 weren't even on twins. Another 1/4 are from up north.

2. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Hopefully some guys are still getting their bikes together, and were laying back to see what the twins competition looked like. I can't imagine MA would even let the class continue all year if the grids don't pick up.

3. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Even I would be fast enough to finish top ten!

4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

up until 2 weeks ago you were limited to basically NEW bike builds. That is alot to ask for a support class with Superbike rules.

Now that it has been opened up, I know several guys who are making plans. Heck, I'm even looking for an SV!

noles19 likes this.
  5. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Where the hell is HERRIN?! I see Fong showed up

6. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Herrin is running his stock R1s... The Attack trailer broke down lol

7. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Hope he's not kidding?

Attached Files:

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Did they allow the mad scientist to work on the rig as well. :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not kidding. Been running around the paddock with what looked like bodywork boxes :D

10. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Wow..he really is crazy.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  11. I was talking to him for a bit today, at first I thought he was joking. Nope. Was running around looking for parts to build a race bike :)

12. And anything else he could get. A+ for effort regardless how he does.

13. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Yea that's just crazy. I hope he goes out there and puts on a show. Wow!

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Congrats Dustin for making the top 10 on the grid

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

MA opened up SV eligibility to 03 and newer.

When Tyler got a chance for a one off ride last year, MA told me I could show up in matching shirts. I didn't want to spend 70-100 per shirt for us to race one time. My wife ordered blue plain matching polo shirts for all of us. MA was actually very cool and helpful and they want to help get people on the grid.

I don't know what the entry fees are for the twins class, but when we raced it was actually cheaper versus a club race, once you take into account the cost of a friday practice day plus two race days. Out here practice at AAA speedway is $250 plus the WERA race fees, so you can easily spend $500. I think AMA was $200 entry for Tyler plus $100 for me. However you also have to buy the license which was another $100 I think.

Tires are definitely more money, but in the twins class, I think there is only one race so you could get by with one set for the race. Since there are only 7 people does it really matter where you qualify, you could qualify on take offs or just buy two rears total?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  16. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

That’s what chris just did.

17. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

I just am signing up now for the road America event. $250 for the license, $225 for the event. And shoot the purse pays $250 to 5th place and $200 from 6th-10th!

And at a place like road America with the long laps you could easily get by with take offs in practice and a new set for the race. Or at least start with a new set and throw a rear on for the race.

18. Boman Forklift

So the fees are a bit more, but if you show up at least right now, you automatically win your entry fees back. I think anyone with an SV or equivalent that lives near one of these tracks should try it out. The neat thing about this class, just like Sean's WERA Triple crown, it is mostly club guys out having some fun.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

More than showed up, The man with the hair built him a weapon.

Metalhead likes this.
  20. Boman Forklift

I tell ya, if Tyler had a better grasp on what his work schedule would be like, I could see us buying a bike and doing this for fun. He graduates in May and has a 6 week training in North Carolina starting mid to late June, then moves back to S. Cal. to work in Century City.

He is in investment banking so they told him to be prepared for 14-16 hour days 6-7 days a week for the first couple of years.

t11ravis likes this.