1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Field Day?

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyTide, Apr 1, 2018.

1. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I've been down Memory Lane a lot today, and memories of these popped up. LOVED field days as a kid!!

Many of you have kids, and I'm curious.....with many schools not even having P.E. .....do elementary schools even still have Field Days anymore? Or would it offend too many 'lil chits nowadays?

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Can you describe your field day? I, and maybe others need you to clarify.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, it's still going on and even a bit more hippy dippy bullshit since you were a kid. Giant parachute, songs about being friends and unity and teachers ducking away for a few minutes and coming back smelling like an AC/DC show.

PE is still alive here and so is the hippy day.

SpeedyTide and casjoker like this.
  4. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

The military has forever ruined my definition on what “field day” is for the rest of my life.

auminer, Phl218, TurboBlew and 6 others like this.
  5. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

You got time to lean, you got time to clean.

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Still going here too.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  7. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

IIRC, one of my field days was a trip to the Little Debbie factory. :p

SpeedyTide likes this.
  8. aboogie973

aboogie973 Well-Known Member

They still have field day here.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Where I grew up we called them field trips, I actually had no idea what a field day was until reading this thread.

Yes, my kids had them.

10. condon66

condon66 Member well known

That's what they're referred to here...field trip. We went to Sea World one time. That was probably my most memorable one. Seems around here like it's a big thing to go to NYC now. The picture I've seen more than any other any time I see pics from a young girl's visit to NYC is pictures of the naked cowboy. Apparently that's more exciting than seeing the Statue of Liberty.

11. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

Field day (not to be confused with field trip) is usually a few days at the end of the school year for athletic competition between the different classrooms (think Olympics for elementary school). Parents are often invited to watch and sometimes participate. I have no idea if they still do it around here. I'd have to ask a few of my teacher friends.

12. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Field day is still rocking down here in Fl. As stated, Field day is a school athletic competition once a year. Field trip is a school trip to science center etc, or the Little Debbie plant like that lucky sob above.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Love me some LD fudge rounds. And them little white powdered doughnuts. Allthough, I do end up with that white powder stuff on my clothes.

14. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Yes to both. Field Day is a big deal here.
    Jeff, B actually has PE every day (middle school). I was pleasantly surprised by that.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

My wife is a Pre-K teacher, that have some sort of field trip every month. They go to the Indiana Children's Museum a couple times a year, the local apple orchard, even the bowling alley. Their school has the pretty cool event where the local police and firefighter spend the day there promoting safety, the kids love that.

16. Field day was awesome, tons of cool stuff and usually ended up covered in mud.
    Our kids have PE daily which is awesome.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  17. We have same sort of set up here as well as local agencies are active with the schools.

18. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

My Son's in SK and going on one tomorrow. Just a skating trip, but he's pretty jacked up about it lol. I'm going too, and get to see how much I've forgotten how to skate in 3 years.

Schools around here still go on them. Mostly to the Ontario science center, Toronto Zoo, and a local outdoor education center where they learn about nature, animals, and cap the day off with a bailer twine maze through the plantation pines back to the bus. It's been the same for 30+ years. The pines are a bit bigger now though.

19. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Oh....yes...field DAY. I wasn't reading the OP correctly. I'm not sure if it's still done here or not.

20. You local (ish) to there? I loved going there as a kid. I’m originally from Windsor. Forget the name of the drive in place with all the animals in London area, that was cool as a kid.