1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Else Watching

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Mar 18, 2018.

1. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Anyone else watching the 1988 500 gp season review on motorsport.tv ? So cool to see some of those old races again. This is about the time I started following road racing closely. Those 500's could be treacherous. Imagine some of todays riders trying to tame those beasts.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm gonna have to find the time to watch these. You could never really watch them back in the day. You had to wait until the newspaper on Monday morning, then read the back of the sports section to maybe see the race results. I made a bunch of money one year and bought the entire season on like 15 Duke VHS videotapes. They were probably $30 each or something crazy. That was the only time I really remember watching the races.

Past Glory likes this.
  3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

People always say that, but today’s riders would go just as fast on those bikes. Probably faster. We’ve gotten better at every single sport on earth, but worse at riding motorcycles? Unlikely.

A better way of looking at it would be to say that the best riders have always squeezed every ounce of potential from a bike. Nothing’s changed, except they go faster now.

panthercity, K51000 and Scotty87 like this.
  4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

No no no. Don’t you know that everyone 20 or more years younger than you is a giant pussy and has had everything in life handed to them?

Boman Forklift, JBraun and K51000 like this.
  5. I certainly don’t think that’s the case but I do think the level of focus on fitness has gone up a great deal.

panthercity likes this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If they grew up on those types of bikes then yes I agree.
    But if you put MM or JL on a 500cc bike tomorrow and told them to go fast....you would need a small telescope to watch them re-enter the atmosphere.

7. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Not that I think today's riders would be any slower. You're right, the best guys would still get the most from the machines. However, based on today's riders use of so much electronics, the advance in tire technology and the light switch power of a 500 2 stroke, I think the learning curve would be much different. Rider injuries would be more of a factor too. Watching these races, probably three quarters of the crashes they showed were high sides.

K51000 likes this.
  8. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Stumbled across it the other day, enjoyable for sure! Agree the learning curve would be interesting. I think eventually they would be as faster but there had to be a fear factor of the 500's that inhibited the speed of some riders that wouldn't be there with today's modern bikes.

9. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I still have a cabinet full of those Duke tapes, 1986-1992.

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Eddie. Laguna. 88. "Yeaahhh"

Hooked me.

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Duc

Scotty87, Robin172 and JBraun like this.
  12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Using today's tires on those machines would end with tons of twisted frames, bent forks and blown-out shocks.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think with time on the bikes that todays riders would go faster. They're much more committed to training on and off of motorcycles to push themselves further than the riders back in the day.

Motofun352 likes this.
  14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

While I agree with this I still like the old days when the riders were more like us. Out to have a good time, more laid back when out in public....not so much pressure to stick the red bull, monster, rock star can into every TV interview.

wsmc42 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally agree. Then it was more a passion for the sport and less a full time job taking care of sponsors. I think Rossi being more like the old school guys like Kevin and those guys is why he's so popular. Granted I have seen Lorenzo do a shot of tequila so he's not a total dweeb :D

panthercity likes this.