1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin track Tire recommendation??

Discussion in 'General' started by Chaplain45, Dec 25, 2017.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Stickboy will sort you out if you are in the southeast. I'm almost positive he's got riders on those tires on the wee-bikes kickin ass.
    And pirelli cost just as much as Michelin tires.. b-stones are cheaper, but...

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I had a father/daughter team that both win national championships on Ninja 250's using the RS tires. Does that count? We actually run the EVO Cup front on their bikes, but the 140 RS on the rear. She's moving to an R3 with a 150 rear for next year.

If you came to our tire trailer, with what you are asking for, I would put you on the RS tires. They will do exactly what you are wanting.

3. Chaplain45

Chaplain45 Well-Known Member

Might need you to send a set to the west coast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

stickboy274 likes this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

No, those guys that get really long life are just slower than you. :crackup:

5. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

It does not apply to everyone, though... :D

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

50% of me thanks you for that. The other 50% is kinda bummed that I don't ride opportunities that allow me to shred a tire a day and, still, another 50% of me is thankful I don't. :D

7. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

it now makes more sense to me, I think. :)

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I was shootin' for 150%. :D

9. Chaplain45

Chaplain45 Well-Known Member

180/55 or 180/60??

10. stickboy274

11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

That was me last year. All by myself on track, not even totally pushing it. Gone threw that spot much faster many times before and then I didn't have a front tire working all a sudden. Still no idea what happened.

12. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

So you've been holding out on me Stick?

13. stickboy274

I keep both brands on hand just for you. They got what you didn't pick up. Really...trust me. BTW, I will have both again this year, but some new stuff is on the way in your sizes from B'Stone.

No Brakes likes this.
  14. toybm

toybm Active Member

Okay I used the search feature. ........

Question, since there are 4 types of Michelin outright track tyres -
    1. Power Cup Evo
    2. Power Cup Ulitmate
    3. Power Slick Evo
    4. Power Slick Ultimate

If I were chosing my next set of tyres, which track tires from Dunlop or Pirelli do each of these matchup with?

Racing a 08 Gsxr750 moving from Q3+.

Thanks

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Unless you are really fast and have your suspension spot on you should just scratch the Ultimate off of your list...

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. toybm

toybm Active Member

Is the Ultimate even more setup sensitive than the Pirelli or Dunlop DOT/Slick with compound selections?

Coming off the Q3+ I like the idea of installing, checking pressures then riding that the Evos should provide. But am I comparing apples to apples between the Evos and the Dunlops/ Pirelli track rubber.

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I have not used any of the other tires so can not comment on more sensitive but according to the Michelin guy in my area the Cup Ultimates are quite setup sensitive. I run the Cup Evo's without warmers and I like them but I also like taking the first lap easy to get me and the tires warmed up.

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yes, the Ultimate is a finicky tire. It's faster than the evo when you get the rear end sorted, but you have to go at a good pace to even keep heat in it. It's also expensive. It also won't work at overly abrasive tracks for most riders.
    If you are not battling for top 5 expert spots, stick with the Evo rear and front. the ultimate front REALLY requires fast pace to work.

stickboy274 likes this.
  19. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I was told the power race I got in 2009 from motorcycle super store was a totally different construction in both compound and carcass compared to race track distributor ... Is this still the case?

20. stickboy274

The race tires only come through race tire vendors now.