1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dented exhaust repair?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dieselboy, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Long story short, I purchased a motorcycle from a well-known forum member. Started tearing the bike down and found the exhaust was pretty banged up.

Sent them to Fusion One and he said there was nothing he could do. Any ideas, shop recommendations?

20180217_114933.jpg rps20180303_181311.jpg rps20180303_181438.jpg

Attached Files:

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If it's titanium I have been told that you can get it red hot then place a chunk of dry ice against the dent and it should pop right back into shape. If it's not titanium, then I got nothing, especially if an exhaust repair pro said no way. Have you tried to heat and beat it into shape?

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Talk to Brit

TurboBlew and TLR67 like this.
  4. Do NOT do this to titanium. You’ll make it very brittle and it WILL crack.

Just cut that off and weld a new piece on. It looks stainless. Just buy a straight piece, weld it on and make a new bracket.

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  5. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

If you’re looking for cheap non welding options I’ve had decent results with this kind of tool. It will never be perfect but you can make it round again and less restrictive.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Stud welder? Pressurized water like the 2t guys do it?

Phl218 likes this.
  7. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

If you go this route be smarter then me and realize that it's rubber o rings holding all those pieces together so don't put a torch to it while they are in there.

8. What's his username?

I was thinking of tool for this but didn't know if such a thing existed, thanks.

Guy I sent it to does this, but since the end is jacked he couldn't make a seal to hold pressure.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

@Britt

Or others that recently learned to Tig-weld

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

I've seen many different methods, hydraulic compression, air with torch, freezing.
    Depends on the metal and how bad it is, yours are very damaged from what I can see.
    Not sure the end result will be worth the trouble.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I wish I could learn to tig! Im still stuck trying to setup an instantgram account. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I did not know that, thanks for passing that on. I have never had to do it myself, or I would have learned that lesson. I have, however, used the air pressure trick on two stroke pipes, and earned that you want to heat before you pressurize the pipe so you reduce the number of dents on the inside of your garage door (or on the outside of your head).

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Is that a stock exhaust system?

14. It's the 57mm Termi system. High dollar so I am trying to fix it. The rest of the system is in good shape, it's just the header coming off the horizontal cylinder.

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

I’d do what akdrift suggested

16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I would put a dent in the person that sold it to you if it was not described as damaged....

17. I did notice it flattened out when I loaded it in the truck (fairings on, didn't realize the extent), was told this was how it came. Given the up pipe on this system does intentionally flatten out I assumed it was plausable.

Got home and started going through it and, well here we are. Cash already exchanged, not much to do about it now. Had some other issues as well.

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Find out how to purchase a new piece. You will lose your ass repairing the stock piece.

19. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Hi dollar is Hi dollar. Replace it and quick fucking around. I have yet to work on a legit Bentley owner that even looked at the price before he cashed out.

I hate "I got a great deal on it..." scenarios. If it wasn't a deal, i am sorry. Ask a friend to help that knows more next time, that shit should have been obvious. Even your race enemy's would have helped.

Flame the seller.

WERA 904 and RightSideUp like this.
  20. Appreciate the comment, not sure how this helps me though.

L8RSK8R and MachineR1 like this.