1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycle trade shows

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Feb 20, 2018.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

How many of you go to them? I just finished working at the Toronto Motorcycle Show, and that got me to thinking. How many of you go to them? Do you buy stuff at them? Do you actually look for the products you see there later? Here is a photo of our booth.

[​IMG]

cha0s#242 likes this.
  2. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

It's been a while since I've been to one, and spoke with a couple of tire guys.
    On a side note, that sidecar rig gives me a chub. NTTAWWT.

panthercity likes this.
  3. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I have not gone in several years. The ones they do in the USA are pretty lame with not all the manufacturers supporting them, usually have garbage cruiser booths, very few new or innovative products being shown...you get the picture.

backbone and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I went every year that the show was in Seattle, maybe 15 years running? Then they moved it to Portland (three+ hours away) about three years ago and I have declined to attend ever since.

Yes, I have purchased items there, mostly clothing as I can compare multiple models/manufacturers in a single trip, opposed to multiple trips over several visits to multiple stores.

Wait, trade shows for product manufacturers to market their products to each other/OEMs, or to provide visibility/purchasing to the general public? I'm talking about the Cycle World International motorcycle show (as an example), not a "trade" show, if that matters.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  5. backcountryme

I am talking about product shows for the general consumer. Not just the industry shows.

6. backcountryme

Yeah, That is a cool rig. We have our fuel in it. It was dyno proven to match MR12, but is environmentally friendly and has a 5 year in tank life. Dave also broke a 40 year old class track record at Mosport by almost 2 seconds after he switched to our fuel. We are pretty proud of that rig.

backbone, badmoon692008 and cha0s#242 like this.
  7. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Hell, I've not seen a "trade" show for bikes ever....just the industry crap show.

8. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Yeah, we used to go up there, spent a day trying on helmets to find the perfect fit (NEXX), trying on gear, chatting with Lee Parks and buying a TC book, getting some swag, checking out the Ducati girls. Then, fewer and fewer vendors would show up, til it was just a shell. You didn't miss anything not coming to Portland. The IMS hasn't come to the PNW in years.

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Went to the Toronto show about 15 years ago. Went with a group of fellow CBXers as we had a booth there. Drinking too much is all I can remember. I went primarily to pick up some RZ500 parts at a local dealer as they weren't sold in the US.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

They are a Joke here in the South.... Unless you want to buy Tassels and Ass less Chaps.... There used to be a good one back in the day but its been long gone...

Killswitch and Jon Wilkens like this.
  11. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I go to them in Chicago. Its the middle of winter here so its something to do. I usually buy a helmet or some little stuff that they are dealing on. Its a good time with friends and it gives us a chance to go drinking afterwards.

12. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I always walk through the vendor booths at the motorcycle show. 90% of the stuff seems gimmicky to me.

13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Used to look forward to the January show in Toronto to buy pepperettes and cheap sunglasses lol. Also to break the winter boredom, see all my racing buddies and drink too much beer. Other than that I hated them. Getting deals on gloves was also another bonus. I don't like to buy gloves off the internet, I'm pretty picky about fitment.

pscook likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We used to do the consumer ones a lot to promote WERA. Didn't see a huge return on it but it was cool to see the racers away from the track and hang out some. They just got too expensive and Evelyne and I were on the road that much more during the off season so we had to stop.

We really should do the AIM show to drum up sponsors and contingency and get face time with the industry peeps but it's tough being right before the GNF - although that is a much much better date for the show itself than the one in February used to be.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Side bar. Is Aspen fuel going to be made available in US?

16. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Usually go to the Cleveland IMS. Not generally for the bikes though. It's been getting smaller and smaller every year. Only the big 4 Japanese brands and Harley show up consistently. Polaris had a weak showing too considering how many segments they are in.

The stuff that just didn't gel with me at the show.
    Progressive Insurance had an area where you could lounge around and wait to get your beard trimmed (dead serious, they brought barbers to the show for the hipsters).
    All the privately entered custom bikes were garbage. Only one of them looked like the person actually put any effort into it. No enjoyment there.
    Josh Herrin was the "Social Media Ambassador" for the show. I have no idea what that even means, but I don't think he was even at the show.

Reasons I still go to the show.
    Helmet shopping. Almost everyone is there with a full line up of all models and sizes to try on.
    FitEar Custom molded ear plugs - guy is in the area during the show only. Has touched my set up a couple times now
    Gear/equipment - tire changers, tools, boots, gloves, ect. Usually buy something I need at a good discount. Fell in love with the KOSO heated grips. Sometimes you find something good.
    Good discounts. Usually stuff is at least 20% off MSRP, sometimes more. Better than internet shopping. Managed to get $350 off an A* Suit compared to what STG would have costed me. Even got to try it on and make sure it was the right size.

It's also fun to stand around and watch the squiddies and pirates jostle about.

17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Hey Billy, will you be at the Montreal show this weekend ? I'll be a Rep. and brand ambassador at the Yamaha booth, come say hi if you're in town ! Nice booth by the way. I'll try to convince our crew chief to switch to Aspen, but he's a hardcore Klotz guy.

backcountryme likes this.
  18. backcountryme

Unfortunately we can’t make Montreal. I have a bunch of stuff to get going in the US, so I had to get down there.

19. backcountryme

Our 93 octane is currently available in Texas right now

backbone likes this.
  20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Used to go to the Cleveland IMS but stopped a few years ago cause it started sucking and well...Driving to Cleveland in winter is more depressing than staying home.

Went to AIM expo last year and while it was cool, there really wasn't a lot of stuff for sale on site, mostly a vendor display thing. Saw some cool products that could result in me buying. I'll go again, doesn't hurt that it's like 5 minutes from my house...