1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for low voltage guys...

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Feb 13, 2018.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

We are currently renovating our offices. The project includes replacement of older data cable with Cat 6. The problem is we will be running to an older IT closet which will be replaced. The schedule for replacement has yet to be determined. We know where it will be, just not when. The original closet will remain,as we have no need for the space it takes up. Out IT guys are pushing us to leave enough slack in the data cabling to disconnect it from the old rack and reroute it to the new racks in the new room as soon as it is complete. The distance is roughly 60 '.

IS there not a better way? A patch panel or something of that nature where we could simply plug in the data line and then run a patch cable from the junction to the new rack? Is it a signal loss issue, or are they being needlessly obstinate?

2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Patch panel would be the way I'd go, signal integrity shouldn't be an issue as long as the RJ45's are of good quality
    We use products from Black Box Corp and Cables Plus here at work

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

We are looking at probably 40 or less lines, can you give me a link or model number? (BTW thanks for the response)

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

A lot easier just to leave coils on each run to make it to the new location. I leave about 10' on each end of a net run, coiled and ziptied above the ceiling. Has saved my bacon more times than I can count on runs that needed to be moved.

eggfooyoung likes this.
  5. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

They are probably looking at what generally happens. Although there is no designated use for the old room right now they just don't want to get in the situation of doing it with patch cables and 6 months down the road someone says they now have a need for that room and they stuff has to be moved. Also one less place to look at for troubleshooting when someone goes in the old room and unplugs something that's "no longer in use".

6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Here are some numbers to take a look at. We use mostly 19" rack mount stuff but some wall mount from time to time
    Cables Plus p/n GXN-C5EP12
    Cables Plus p/n GXN-C5EPA24
    Black Box options
    https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/prod...cts/jacks-panels-hardware/copper-patch-panels
    Here's an example of something we use
    https://www.blackbox.com/en-us/stor...atch-Panel---1U-Unshielded-48-Port/JPM810A-HD

There's alot of different options out there but these can point you towards something to consider, good luck

Edit: you could also just do a loose RJ45-RJ45 adapter also, check out Tyco 555052-1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  7. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I have done this before and leaving enough slack is perfectly fine. the other options mentioned are just as good.

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Unless you are at the limits of a 300 foot run then leaving the extra is fine so they can move them later.

rd49 likes this.
  9. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Are you trying to run 10G or 1G on the Cat6 ?

If it's just 1G, then coil the excess and then re-terminate when you move the closet.
    If it's 10G, that may not work out.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Pretend I'm stupid (that's not a stretch for most of you). I have no idea what 1 g is vs 10 g unless that refers to bandwidth. This is running VOIP communications, desktops (mostly basic office type stuff) one GIS computer and a couple biz hubs. Connetion to the building is fiber if that matters.

11. Venom51

My guess is they aren't running 10g to every office location.

12. Venom51

Unless you are a video production facility I doubt they spent the money to run 10g to every port in the office.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And they wouldn't consider fucking around patching between punchdowns either.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You're spot on. Bandwidth. 1Gb/s vs 10Gb/s

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I suspect we would be closer to 1G than 10. My iPhone on hotspot is about as fast as my desktop connection

16. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

In that case, just coil up excess wire and extend/re-terminate when the closet is moved.

If it's only 1G (Gigabit Ethernet) I'm wondering why spend the cost on Cat 6. Just install Cat5e. It will work just as well.

10G (10 Gigabit Ethernet) connections are used for servers, video editing, database servers, and other select applications. They are as of now, not typically used for desktop computers, and aren't necessary for Voice over IP. Some Video over IP applications do require 10G connections.

But it was fair question. I work with a fair amount of 10G copper and fiber Ethernet connections.

But then again, I work at a TV network headquarters.

R Acree likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Our IT folks want the latest standard. Please don't tell me there is something better. I would be forced to ruin their day.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Token ring. :D

Jedb likes this.
  19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Cat12. Twice as good as Cat6.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

But is it better than Cat Woman?