1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top cases / tail bags.

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Feb 13, 2018.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I need a new top case for the Multistrada, and I've been thinking about a soft one. Motech says the inner liner is "waterproof". I'm skeptical.

I like the idea of a bag because it's versatile and has multiple compartments, but don't like that it isn't lockable and I'm afraid it will leak.

Who's got what? Ideas?

2. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

Kriega US-20. Doesn't leak, I've tested it a few times

JBraun likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Buy either the Ducati or Givi hard case. No point in cheaping out on it. You can always get a removable liner bag for it that will do what the soft does for packing things.

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Do you have the Ducati branded Givi one? My bike had the cheap Givi scooter style one on it when I got it, and it was okay, but always made me nervous so I gave it to a friend.

Planning to cough up some cash, just want to spend it wisely. The more I think about it, the cons may outweigh the pros when it comes to soft bags...

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That thing looks kinda cool. I may pick one up even if I do a hard case.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got a Ducati one - shape is different than the Givis so not sure who made it. I believe it was some other company since it's the same styling as their side cases that had to be redone with additional latches. They kept coming open if you missed on the main latch just slightly which is something that Givi wouldn't have released to start with.

Even the cheap Givis are great cases from what I've seen.

I've heard nothing but good about Kriega too. Or you can go BMW style with a square heavy duty box :D

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I put a Kappa on my FZ, which if you're not familiar is Givi's European (and slightly less expensive) brand. Sure it's a beast, but the only time I use
    a top case is when I need a beast.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Why a top case? Never could get used to all that extra top weight all the way at the back. Opted instead for removable side cases only when needed. Of course can't do the helmet thing but then most top cases can't either.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For me it's simple - the boss wants a backrest :D The rare times I run the Multi solo just running around I'll run just sides or none at all. It is funny tho, makes it handle weird...

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Not sure about the top, but my stock side cases (with crappy latches) are made by Givi. I only know because the lock mechanism broke and when I took it apart to fix it, a bunch of stuff said Givi on the inside. You're right about it not being a great design.

I'm trying to talk myself into the square aluminum style. It's mostly about utility, but I still don't want to look like I'm delivering pizzas. :D

11. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I am in the market for a top case for my Versys as well. I have never had one before and was thinking about the Givi options. I didn't know about the rack, the Givi rack or a SW Motech or what? But I think Givi a pretty safe bet for the actual case. I also was looking at SHAD which people seem to like.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: With you on the boxes. And I've delivered pizza on a bike... The box I built for it looks like RD's but a little shorter.

13. rd400racer

When I'm loaded for a 3-4 day trip it sure comes in handy. But you know that there's something on the ass end:D

[​IMG]

JBraun likes this.
  14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I actually didn't plan to replace it when I gave it away, but I just got back from a trip and missed it.

I put all my easy access items in there. Rain gear, extra visors, warmer gloves, drinking water, etc. It was really annoying having to open the side cases to get that stuff. I pack my camping gear in dry bags and secure them on top of the side cases, so they have to come off to get in.

I don't really notice the weight, but the Multi seems to handle impossibly well no matter what you load on it.

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Looks familiar. Where's your spare gas can? Or are you just that brave? :D

rd400racer likes this.
  16. rd400racer

JBraun likes this.
  17. rd400racer

Lower Cumberland Lake area. I'm a native...I'm hoping they cut me some slack:D

JBraun likes this.
  18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I actually liked this one, but it was pretty flimsy. I could go for something similar size but more robust.

[​IMG]

rd400racer likes this.
  19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I just realized this place needs an adventure photos thread. Maybe I'll start one during my AK trip this summer...

XFBO and baconologist like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, that one is too small. Needs to be at least the size of the HD tour packs and carry a case of long necks :D

JBraun likes this.