1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California cars and no license plates?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Feb 12, 2018.

1. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I remember reading that Steve Jobs had found some loop hole in the law that allowed you to have a new car and not have license plates for 6 months or some BS like that. I'm out in the bay area for awhile with work and I swear every new car I see has this. A couple were even driving for LYFT or Uber. Wtf? First how is this even a law and for what end?? Just to look cool... I don't get it.... this place makes my head hurt...

2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

No idea but you're right. I see cars without license plates all the time. Half of them are luxury cars, and a lot have a very permanent looking novelty plate with an embossed Mercedes (or whatever) logo on them. I always wonder how and why they get away with that.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

GA did drive out tags for a while that were the dealers logo usually. Finally started requiring a temp tag but you can still run without anything if it's a private sale I believe. Always liked Ohios setup better, $3 or so got you a 30 day tag you could renew a limited number of times.

4. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

If the state actually enforced it, we'd probably have enough money that we wouldn't be talking about raising bridge tolls, taxes, etc. for our infrastructure issues.

G Dawg and JBraun like this.
  5. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

In CA you have 90 days after you register a car in your name (new) to put the plate on. Many, break this rule and it's annoying, but just something you deal with. When I first moved here from NYC it was odd to me as well.

There's a great clip in a movie with Paul Rudd where he pokes fun of this after being hit by a Range Rover on his bicycle.

6. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

:Poke:

7. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

Years ago when I rode cross country I met up with a guy on a R1 and he didn't have a plate. He said people know people at the DMV and they would find out where you live and steal your bike. He had two bikes taken from his garage. When he removed the plate it never happened again. I have no clue if this is true or not.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He's delusional unless he also didn't title or actually register it.

9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Why the hell do any of you care if someone has a plate on their car or not? Legal or not its a great way to chat with your local officer too.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd only care if they ran into me.

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's what I was wondering about. Don't the cops hate it ? No way to check anything before pulling the car over.

vdub 2.0 likes this.
  12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

People do it to drive the toll roads free. Tolls are photo enforced.

13. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

LMAO I know plenty of people who do this. I have an employee who’s had his car 2 years and still has paper plates. Dude drives in the toll lane without a transponder and never gets popped and never pays. Probably has saved him thousands. Why on Earth the state doesn’t do something about this, I have no idea. They have other more eclectic priorities. Couldn’t be that hard to create a system where dealers get a set number of temp tags or let the dealers print them. It’s utterly ridiculous. I don’t blame anyone for exploiting it though. Might even do it myself on my next car. Free tolls sound good. Might even drive the OC tolls roads next time I’m out there instead of the 5/405.

Phl218 and Boman Forklift like this.
  14. EngineNoO9

I really don't care but thought it was odd. For a state that forces low emission vehicles to put an ugly ass sticker on their car so they can ride in the express lanes, but then don't give a shit if you have a license plate or not seems odd to me.

They're more worried about a waiter giving me a plastic straw without me asking for it...

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s totally retarded. I have no idea why they allow it. They’re focused on truly more important matters. Without the plastic straw ban all the sea turtles will die and the oceans will overflow with carcasses. Or something. :D

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

They will pull you over and it's a fix it ticket, get it signed off and pay a fee. They often use it to pull over people just to take a look around, nothing there and they might tell them to get it taken care of or ticket them.

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

We’re living in a goddamned SNL sketch.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I know that is why my neighbor hasn't put his plates on.

19. EngineNoO9

Well Californians are. I'm just a guest in this shit show. I'm getting my ass out of here as quick as possible! Unfortunately that's 3 weeks from now...

20. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

When you get a new car without plates, the dealer is required to tape the temporary DMV registration in the far right corner of windshield. It is enforced pretty well in southern California. If a cop doesnt see the temp tag in the windshield he will pull you over. It is a fix-it ticket, and you have to show proof of correction plus pay a fine (around $50). If you get another ticket you will be heavily fined as you already showed proof of correction.