1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lacrosse

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Dec 8, 2017.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yep but only my daughter raced. She made it through to the finals and couldnt believe it.......the boys are fast on the 85's.

2. joec

joec brace yourself

Dundalk has waterfront!

That's super cool! Best I've done is the consideration race. Lol

3. britx303

Yeah i'd like a legit FT bike to run there eventually.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

When you have a chance, ask them what their current stick setup is? I'm doing warm ups with a few teams (dudes and chicks) and I'm trying to find something that "works."

and yeah, I have no idea on how this happened. They needed someone and I guess I missed the step back.

5. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Check your PM’s.
    I got you the set up for the team USA goalie.

Ride safe,
    AAron

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Double A-ron. Thanks. I took it and ran. :)

DucatiBomber likes this.
  7. britx303

Ahhh sorry man.....been busy as hell with dirtbike prepping and hadnt gotten on here the past week. Hope you found what youre looking for......if not I will check with whomever.sorry 'bout that.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Brit, nah, nothing to be sorry about. :)

I went with a pretty basic set up. Eclipse 2 with soft Grizzly mesh with a deep pocket. I'll throw it on CF mens attack shaft or a womens dragonfly I have around. I don't want the full goalie length shaft and don't feel like cutting one down to 36" or 34".

I got a good stringer who is doing the stringing and shooter set up.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Birdbirdbirdistheword, what happened with your kids? They giving it a try?

I'm cleaning out my gear bag and the overflow if they are playing I might have some extra shit to pass along.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

We are signed up. I think it starts at the end of March... Oh snap that's in a month and change. Both are going to try it

Sent from a smatrphone

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nice, PM me the ages of the kids and your address. I'll see what I have around (including something for dad to throw with them). Not promising anything, just what I have around. :)

BigBird and DucatiBomber like this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Done. The beeb is an awesome place.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

So update. First weekend out and in the frigid temps, and the kids still enjoyed it, even though they had softball practice and hardball, and pinewood derby racing finals. The boy said it was his favorite of the weekend, but I think he enjoyed putting on all the gear and looking like a warrior.

The mouthpiece not so much. But lacrosse as a game seems to be a pretty cool.

They asked if I wanted to coach, and I know nothing about lacrosse, but I guess they just need bodies on the field.and not everyone was back from vacation but, they had 35 boys for the 1st grade class on one side, and only 8 girls on their side of the field. The girls coach did seem to be really passionate about Lacrosse, the boy's coach was more trying to handle the crowd.

Quick observation is that the parking lot was filled with totally different cars/SUVs than the softball and little league parking lots. Parents gave out a totally different vibe.

What is a good training net that we can use? Some other things we should be working on. Let me start learning myself.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Unrelated to lax but what is harball?

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

OK I fixed it.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Don't buy a goal unless they get serious. You can most likely head over to the high school or middle school and there might be one there.

Get yourself a stick and throw with them. There are a million videos on the yougores to teach you and them. Paul Rabil did a series of how tos and they are pretty good to get you started.

BigBird likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

so don't get a rebounder thing?

18. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Ahh gotcha hardball. I thought youse fooks from Joisey had some new made up game. :D

BigBird likes this.
  19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not yet. If they get serious, yeah, it's money well spent. Or just find a concrete wall and use that.

Coaches will go on about doing walball and they are right. But throwing with Mom, Dad and anyone they can find will do them more good right now.

BigBird likes this.
  20. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Agree to all of this. A rebounder is great but a wall is free for the time being. Once they get to having the stick in their hands several times a week then a rebounder, net (plus large backstop net) become valuable.

My son is 4 and a half and in Pre-K, our U6 league just started up and I've been coaching his team now and really at this age (and even new U8 players) they just need to scoop, cradle, catch, then throw. We are working a lot with scooping and running. Right now we are in a gym and it's funny watching the kids try to scoop off the gym floor - they mostly just end up pushing the ball halfway to the next county as it just rolls.

BigBird likes this.