Insurance/House people - HUGE claim...

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Unless you really love the property, I'd prefer they hand me a fat check and I'd sell the place as-is and buy/build elsewhere.

2. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I would try and work with you agent as much as possible.
    SF corporate people don't get paid the same and they could care less if you are retained as a customer.
    I have had them try to fuck over my parents on a claim before.
    I called her agent (mine as well) and told them the run around we were getting.
    It got fixed after that phone call.

3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Ever tried to shut off a valve with a full flow of water going through it? I would want to see this thing work under those conditions before I trust it.

Chris I agree with the folks who say to watch the water remediation companies. They are crooks, I run into them all the time in my line of business. Local tool rental place will rent dehumidifiers and fans. You are going to need a shit load of them.

For example:
    https://www.schulhoff-tool.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=22&key=033-0025
    https://www.schulhoff-tool.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=15&key=015-0012
    https://www.schulhoff-tool.com/equipment.asp?action=category&key=033-0023-1

These tools are you friends.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would it be that hard to turn off a normal 1/2 or 3/4 inch ball valve?

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Like I told Chris, my parents went through something similar. A plastic (should have been copper) piece failed and half the house was toast - upstairs, to downstairs, to the finished basement.

In the end, they came out "ahead" - but it wasn't the most fun thing they ever did.

Echoing the comments about trying to not get too stressed out about it.

6. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Yes, I had a demo set-up when I was selling home automation to builders. The one I posted worked well. Demo and actual install.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it is always hard but with a full flow of water going through it the operation of any valve becomes significantly more difficult. Try it. Turn off a ball valve with static water pressure and then open every sink valve in your house and try shutting it off, I'll bet its a lot harder. We work with valves every day and they get more difficult to operate with time due to build up and scale, add in a full flow of water and it gets worse.

BigBird likes this.
  8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I'm a "see it to believe it" kind of guy but if you say it works then that's great. I'll still turn ours off manually when we are gone.

9. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Usually because people NEVER exercise the valves and they get crusted up and hard to move, or crap stuck in them. We work with lots of ball valves on our FP systems and it’s very common to see broken handles from people trying to open them up. Getting the valve to come off it’s full open position especially larger valves with full flow running through them takes quite a bit of pressure. That automated valve actuator looks pretty weak, but I couldn’t find any specs on it to confirm anything.

Edit...Or what Dobr said

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah okay, you're talking about after the pipe lets go. I see what you mean.

11. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Thats the best practice. I kill the power to the well pump.

dobr24 likes this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know if you can really ever come out ahead. Even if you get all shiny new things. You can replace stuff but you can't put a price on memories.

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I had a house fire at 14 and while there are some things I remember from my childhood I'd love to have, it's kind of freeing to not haul all that crap with you forever.

14. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Dicky Doo has the best advice so far.

Let SF get someone in to dry the house. They will haul out all of the wet materials and install fans and dehumidifiers. Fungicide will be sprayed on all of the exposed surfaces to minimize mold growth. Be sure that if you sign anything to start this process, that it is limited to the drying/mitigation only.
    Contents and clothing - restoration contractors charge a fortune to clean and store your clothes and furniture, often more than they are worth.

Once the drying is complete, get a restoration contractor to bid for you. Get one that is not a SF Program/preferred. Program contractors have agreed to discount their work, and often lowball their bid to satisfy their SF overlords.

Interview your adjuster when they show up. Find out how many claims this big they have handled, whether they are a "large loss" (or similar title) adjuster, and if they are going to write their own estimate, or have a contractor do it for them. Not writing their won estimate is generally a bad sign.

SF uses the Xactimate estimating program. The amount of money it totals for your repairs is entirely dependent on how many line items are in the estimate. It should be extremely detailed.* Have your contractor show you how to read the estimate, so you know what SF has specified for your repairs.

Expect to be out of your house for up to a year. Be sure SF rents you a similar house, and not to scrimp on your living situation. They owe you for "like kind and quality" on your living situation and everything else.

It sound as tho SF still has some qualified adjusters in your area. Here, not a one of them can write a simple estimate.

If you need to, you can hire a Public Adjuster to represent you to the insurance company. They will ensure that your estimate is complete and your settlement is fair. They will take about 10% of the money paid to you for their fee and relieve you of a bunch of the stress involved.

I was a large loss/general property adjuster for over 3 decades, I'll be glad to help if I can.

*detailed should be right up your alley.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I can't think of anything from my childhood I would like to have. But all my photos from late teens to my accident got lost (when a bunch of friends got together to pack up my apartment after I left), with the rolls of film, and I can't think of any amount of money that would replace that.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, I was never big on pics and mom still had a decent amount of the baby/kid stuff. Don't know of many of me over the years other than school pics really. I do wish I'd taken more of vehicles and such.

Photo likes this.
  17. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Pm sent. Call me.

18. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I kinda agree with this Broome. Hard as that sounds, I don't think I'd WANT anything other than a complete rebuild. With those Tennessee temp swings and that thing being soaked that long, it could get ugly. I HOPE for y'alls sake something can be saved, but I'd just go ahead and expect a new place. Either way it's going to be a WHILE till you have a place again. Sorry if I'm being a downer. Just trying to help with 'worst case scenario'.

Phl218 likes this.
  19. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Do you mean a water heater? Our tank holds 50 gals so chances are it wont go empty over a week or two vacation.

20. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

PS...don't sign ANYTHING with any of the contractors. Preferred or not.

Did I mention. Call me NOW:Poke::D

cav115 likes this.