1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NYC suing oil companies

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by speeddaddy, Jan 10, 2018.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

And it completely ignores the smug that they create.

2. speeddaddy

speeddaddy Well-Known Member

Maybe the oil companies will sue Egypt and all other countries that allowed the exploration

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Somebody should sue the dinosaurs for dying and decaying and becoming oil.

badmoon692008 and dtalbott like this.
  4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

That would be racist.

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I wonder what the carbon footprint is of the City of New York itself.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Shouldn't they sue the comet that killed the dinosaurs?

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Or the SUV makers that brought about the comet and climate change?

8. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

The irony here is that states like California won't allow you to live off the grid, dependant on clean energy like solar. They make you use the utility companies for energy.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Cite. This is simply not true. Local governance has instituted restrictions in some places, but nothing of the sort comes from the state.

10. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

11. In Your Corner

Fencer likes this.
  12. bleacht

My brother lives outside Sacramento and was told by county and state officials.

13. dsapsis

Neither your anecdotal claim nor the preceding legal opinion render the original statement in any way factual. There is no case law based on the energy code causing a homeowner to not be able to to serve their entire electrical needs locally. The entire objective of Title 24 is to promote decentralized green power and applies only to new permitting. Local permit requirements would dictate whether grid establishment requirements exists. Most locals require this where practical to overcome current limitations in reliability, but it's completely disingenuous to claim the state is locking people into the grid. If your brother lives in Sacramento County he is served by SMUD, which allows net metering. He can build a system that will provide 100% of his electrical usage. He wouldn't want to disconnect from the disconnect from the grid because then he cant back flow excess production, and in the opinion of the local building authority (the one who permits electrical systems), current systems are not safe enough to guarantee reliability. That will change with technology and real-world testing. Wholesale off-grid living does create externalities that the CPUC is aware of, but nothing has been done in rulemaking to address them.

The grid will be replaced in time, but that will be market forces driving it. If PG&E gets hit with the full bill from the Tubbs fire, it will show a liability not previously foreseen.

14. bleacht

Blah blah blah

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I see you're familiar with Dave's work. ;)

brex likes this.
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

How progressive.

bleacht likes this.
  17. In Your Corner

I just can't work up a fuck to give.
    Low T may be to blame.

18. dsapsis

Well, that's mighty perspicacious of you.