1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2-stroke newbie...

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Waterboy, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Got the racebike I've wanted since I started- a '95 TZ250 this off-season and hoping to see more than me out there this season... :)

2. parillaguy

parillaguy vintage+GP racer

Congrats on buying the TZ. The second thing you should buy is a Accu-Mix can for fuel mixing. Ignore all advice that says you can mix at anything other than 30:1 or 32:1. parillaguy

Waterboy likes this.
  3. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Thanks for the advice, bike came with an accu-mix :)

4. Bbp

Bbp Well-Known Member

Congrats! I just bought a tz250 for this coming season as well, I also have been wanting one for a long time, was super happy when I finally found one. Mine is a 97.

Waterboy likes this.
  5. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

See you out there!

6. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

if it doesn't work out contact me if you decide to sell it. BHP or Waterboy :)

7. Bbp

Bbp Well-Known Member

There is one for sale a cpl. Threads down. Shit of I could sell my dam Aprilia rs250 I would buy it!!

8. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

$15k is out of my range...

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I believe its been sold already, too. Don't want to speak for the seller, but another site says "Pending sale".

10. Bbp

Bbp Well-Known Member

I didn't think it would last long! Very nice bike. His tz125 is super nice also.

11. Bbp

Bbp Well-Known Member

Hopefully someone bought it to RACE it.

12. erock768

erock768 Well-Known Member

Come race some AHRMA rounds. Open two stroke. A bunch of 250GPs and other cool two strokes to race with. Class has been seeing a bit of resurgence so please bring those TZs out to play!

Waterboy likes this.
  13. sbrokerboy

sbrokerboy Well-Known Member

25:1 if perfect for the mix!

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree, did t want to call out the other posting, but we usually ran 24 or 25:1

15. sbrokerboy

As per the moto gp Aprilia rsr/rsw125, and the factory nsr250 AXO bike manual, 25:1. I think it was one of those little “tricks” the factories did. When I got a copy of the AXO NSR250 manual and read that I was like “I knew it”.

16. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

I raced a 95. Won some Amateur Championships too. I loved it. I followed the easy to understand owners manual. I felt like Yamaha wanted this bike to be able to win anywhere. That the manual was written so it was like having a team of engineers right in your toolbox. Bruce Lind told me "You don't need more HP. Just go faster in the corners." I was always amazed at the simplicity. You are gonna enjoy your bike. Happy piloting!

galloway840, Waterboy and Bbp like this.
  17. sbrokerboy

Biggest piece of advice is keep it as close to stock as possible and spend your money on track time not performance parts. I remember a USGPRU race at oak hill race way in Texas, where a 95 rs125 ridden by Derek Wagon got 2nd or 3rd against Nobi on a RSW125 Aprilia, and a JHA Kitted RS125 ridden by the Avtec kids back in 2005 or 6.

Track time and moderate jetting, with 25:1 follow the service intervals and you will be a happy camper.

18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

He's new to 2 strokes........not new to racing.:D

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Great advice, although a good pipe does make a difference.

When Tyler was racing his I actually purchased an A kit because many of the kids he was competing with had them. I told him we would put it on when he was going fast enough to need it. So Joe Roberts went to Red Bull, Lex Hartl sold his bike to Daytona Anderson, Benny Solis and Austin Dehaven moved on. Tyler was racing Anthony Alonso, Daytona Anderson, Jason Aguilar on a RS125/450 conversion, Michael Gilbert, Aaron Villasenior, Andre Ochs, and some others.

He ended up being competitive without it so I never installed it. We did break it in, so it could be a backup, plus we also had a Moriwaki.

Still have the Seel 6 stud A Kit and good pipe stored in the shop, probably should sell that.

20. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Yeah, I've been racing SV's since 2006... :)

Boman Forklift likes this.