1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Vintage Classes

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Dave, I went back and reread the Footwork post that I echoed with my tag line. I read 90% positive view and appreciation to Sean for his valiant efforts. I too thank Sean for the level headed management of this situation while trying to please as many people as possible. The only thing that could be spun as negative was an alternative to all the positive to be considered.
    My situation leaves me racing in my bump up class and bumping up to who knows what when this is settled. Like Footwork, I appreciate all the positive that would otherwise be flushed down the drain with one simple decision which was not taken as the easy way out.
    I'm appreciative! Long live WERA Vintage!

2. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

I am giving Mark M's suggestion with respect to the V3/V4 issue some serious thought. Fold V3 into V4.. Leave F-500 and it can swallow up all of the V1-V2 bikes. Grouped together V1, V2 and F500 is a good sized group with reasonable speed compatibility.

V3-folded into V4 also provides a bump up for the F500 group.

Joe I am good with your idea, I am very willing to try and help

3. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Mark, you would actually go to 4 races. You would get two Sat, and two Sun. If you want to run both bikes, run one as a Sat. bike, and the other as a Sun bike. It would also give you more weekends since this looks to be an every weekend schedule, not just four a season. I think you could end up racing a lot more if you want.

It's not ideal, but this is all a work in progress also.

videojack likes this.
  4. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

This would work. In race 8, V3 absorbs the f500 2 strokes, v4 absorbs the larger (up to 750cc) 2strokes. That was how we raced in the 90s and it worked well. 500gp includes all smaller classes: gps and v1, v2),you could even subclass that into disc,or drum. That would make a place for Everyone. I will have a td3 250, a formula500 bike, and my v5 rz this year. I'm bringing some new riders out with me.Everyone, find a young Rider with talent and provide him with a ride. Let's grow the ranks again!

5. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

V1 and V2 have never been with gp bikes, in one class....

6. videojack

Yeah, to pretend like GP500 is being saved and allowing V1 & V2 to "bump down" disc or drum, doesn't make sense.
    Perhaps having V3 run a different race from GP500 would allow GP riders to bump up to V3 and play with the V1/V2 guys in a bump up scenario?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Plenty of room, not really super tight anywhere other than Cycle Jam or GNF - and even then there is room but people get pissy about power.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Isn't that what we're doing here?

VFR#52 and videojack like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, given the turnouts in V6HW and V7MW and the experience level of those riders it'll be totally fine.

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And again I have to ask - what guys?

VFR#52 likes this.
  11. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

It's good to see a dialog and thank you Sean for giving everyone an opportunity to save some classes in one form or another. Miss you guys.

Bob

VFR#52 likes this.
  12. Yamaha Fan

The guys we wish were racing

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ahhhh those guys! :D

VFR#52 likes this.
  14. videojack

Well if there are no guys, then there would be no problem having V1/V2 to bump up (not down) to V3 just like all the smaller bikes are starting at GP500? Hopefully we are talking about making a place for "improved economy" and "recruited racers" to turn out as the word gets out and the season progresses. We do have a history of the GP350 grid showing up for the GP500 races as well. If you build it, those racers have shown they will bump up as well. Mongo, I'm with you big guy. Hang in there and thanks again.

15. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

So does this mean that only vintage will be in this race?
    No modern bike gridded with these classes?
    If so this is great.
    Been watching this thread and you are doing a great job.
    Tough choices to make to keep everyone racing in vintage.

Steven

videojack likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

One person ran both V1 and V2 last year.

Doing GP 500 is because between it and GP350 we had 5 riders total and I would really like to keep at least one small bike class.

videojack and VFR#52 like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's the plan - most modern would be V7MW. As always it'll depend on turnouts and so on.

videojack likes this.
  18. videojack

I'm with you and makes sense to me. Thank you.
    As for would only vintage be in the race, I'm talking about GP500 class, not who else is going to be in the grid.

19. Yamaha Fan

Aim better...:D

20. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Thats great.
    Also if one of the other smaller classes lap times are not to slow and wont get lapped you maybe can add 1 more with if that helps.
    Light turn out wont affect the rest of class racing.
    Im sure other guys know lap times better than me.
    Thanks
    Steven

videojack likes this.