1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on side by sides...Polaris RZR's

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Mar 5, 2016.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Well, still no SxS....Maybe the government recall and order by the government to 'stop sell/stop riding' the Polaris XP lineup has something to with it.

Voltage reguulator, heat shield, clutch, fuel vent lines, fuse box(bad seal, gets wet, all bad).....etc...a total of 4-5 recalls that need to be fixed before you should ride. If you ride before the repairs and it catches on fire, you're not gonna be covered with the 'stop riding' order in place.

Dealers don't even have parts for the repairs yet....and when they do get them, the dealers are gonna fix their in stock units lst so they can sell them. What a fiasco.

I actually did an online app....buut I forgot that I had a security freeze on my EQ report so the bank couuldn't pull that report and they refused to pull another bureau. But in the meantime, the damn dealer pulled my TU and I took a hard pull/inquiry. That was BS 'cauuse im very protective of my credit and that was not suupposed to happen. They coded it wrong and were supposed to do juust a soft pull....now that HP dinged my score and it stays on my report for 2 yrs. After that happened and all the shit i keep reading on Polaris, I told them to hold the app.

Also, new '17's will be out in a month or 2 at the dealer show. Maybe these issues will have bbeen fixed. And Yammi may do something with their gearing/cluutch seetuup on the YXZ. And Arctic cat is putting the Yammi 3 cyl in their new machines with a supercharger as well. Hoping that Honda hits the market with a performance SxS too.

Im glad the gun jammed when I pulled the trigger on the credit app.....shewwweee..

2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

So I just picked up a 2013 RZR 800 base model. 700miles on it, 3500lb winch and fromt and back windshields. Got it cheap ($8000 canadian, so about $6300USD). So far all I have done is ride around the farm here and on the dirt track I made for the kids and their 90 ATV's. Hope to take it north to spend a few days riding with a friend on the logging roads in the fall.

I am not a Polaris fan at all (everything I ride is green) so we will see how this goes.

Razr likes this.
  3. gapman789

I decided against a SxS. Glad that i did for now. No time or desire to do anything but R &R on Sunday...My only day off after a 60+hr hardass work week of pounding on rocks.

And, i wanted to see what Honda had coming out, the fixes to the RZR lines, and some tweakage on the Yami XYZ after its lst year. Better gearing/clutching/rollcage collapsing, etc...

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think you'll like it, they make awesome snowmobiles!

5. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Fixed the first 2 words.

renegade17 likes this.
  6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I always heard it was
    People
    Of
    Low
    Ability
    Riding
    Inferior
    Shit.

renegade17 likes this.
  7. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Oh believe me, I would have preferred to buy an Arctic Cat or even a Kawasaki Teryx, but the price on this one will at least let me try it out without too much risk.

8. gapman789

Im back in the market again. Nothing has really changed with the RZR XP 1000.
    Are they still crap? Cant get any honest opinions on the rzr forum.

The new Can-am X3 line seems to be the shit.

canam.JPG

9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

They need to make one of these with the biggest baddest 2t snowmobile engine out there. The woods would be alive with the sound of music! (and the smell of heaven)

10. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

As a dealer of both Can-Am and Polaris, my vote would be Can-Am. Just like a bike, determine your need/desire for it's use, that will determine the model.

Driven sensibly, they are pretty tough machines. Driven as if the Baja 1000 trophy is on the line, they break like everything else. YMMV.

If you've got a place to rip an X3, you won't be disappointed.

11. gapman789

I would be riding trails in the off-road parks in KY, TN, WVA.

Some of the biggest issues ive seen with the Can-am isn't so much reliability, it's getting parts from Can-am from the dealer if you do break, having to take the turbo/intercooler off to change plugs and other simple maintenance is a major pita compared to the Polaris, visibility can suck since you sit considerably lower but it does have seats that go up/down, front/back, noisy cockpit unless you're wearing a helmet (which i would do for sure), power steering could be better, and PRICE.

But the ergos /seats are great, having the gauges in front of you instead of in the middle of the dash like the RZR,
    Rotax triple turbo. They've been using this Rotax engine in the snowsleds, PWC's, it's a proven engine.

I can get a '17 RZR XP1000 with 150 miles, with light bars, bumpers, windshield, stereo, nerf bars, seat harnesses, and more for $15k. A base Can-am X3 is $20k right off the rip. Next step up is $22k. The lowest tier turbo Can-am model is a solid $5k more than the RZR XP 1000 turbo.

I"m leaning toward an '18 XP 1000 n/a with 4 yr extended warranty. I feel like a warranty is a must.

-I'm checking your dealership out now. Hook it up!

12. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

My wife was a service advisor at a big multi line shop and would tell you never buy Polaris or Can Am, and yes the sold them so not biased on way or the other. Never had a issue the Yamaha’s or Honda’s. What type of riding are you going to do? Check your PM

terminus est likes this.
  13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Stay away from Polaris.

14. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

When I was a service writer for Honda, Yami, Suzuki, Polaris, and can-am, we made LOTS of money on the RZR's. Honestly we made bank on anything polaris. I got to know their warranty line really well. I would never buy a rzr unless I was pulling the drivetrain for a GL1800 swap or something sweet like that.

15. pjdoran

For trail riding, the X3 is BIG.

Yamaha, and the Japanese machines in general, are more reliable. That is likely in part a factor of how tuned (to the edge) the Polaris and Can-Am are.

The guys buying the fastest turbo's are beating the hell out of them, so it is worth noting that without abuse I think they are more reliable than the market believes.

Steer clear of XMR/Hi Lifters, they are by a wide margin the most abused machines by their owners.

As stated, lots of Polaris recalls. Similar difficulties getting commonly destroyed parts across both brands.

The things people do to them, at the speed they do them, would damage any purpose built off road jeep/buggy. I am not arguing for their reputation, just saying the amount of stupid amongst weekend users is....just sayin'.

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Four wheeled soul killing machines for people who have given up on motorcycles, thereby giving up on life. :D

Buy one of those things and next thing you know there will be a jet boat and Harley bagger next to it. One day you realize your truck has black rims and you're wearing an American Fighter shirt. By then it's too late and to restore your dignity. You're a side by side guy. There's no coming back...

17. pjdoran

Preach on!!:stupid:

18. gapman789

thats about half right. :)

I sold the 28' performance boat 2 yrs ago.

I do have a '13 hd night rod special with my sights on a '16 roadglide in a couple of years.

I just bought another racebike on monday, thats 4 nicely set up racebikes that i take to the track. Im also eyeing a '17 rsv4 to go with the '13 rsv4 racebike.

I have a '16 tuono.

I have a '13 wr450f with 24 miles on it and kdx 200.

No chance of me giving up bikes.

I get what youre saying though...my race buddies for the past 20+yrs ,have given up on the track the past few years. They have sxs's, multis and sport tourers, kids and coaching. Theyre sucking me into the sxs darkside. Windrock the 27th weather permitting.

19. gapman789

The x3's are 64" like the rzr xp1000, except for the x3 x rs and rc which is 72". So i thought anyway

20. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I have X3, base model because I did not want wide one for trails I go to. I been beating the shit out of it for year now. Broke upper arm twice and couple sway bar links. Those parts are cheap and other than that I have 0 problems with it. No blame on parts breaking, it is all me :)
    That thing scares me sometime :)

laich528 and pjdoran like this.