1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quickshifter for minis...

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by smokey11, Oct 22, 2017.

1. smokey11

smokey11 Member

I came across a KTM SX85 fitted with a quickshifter on the Internet the other day and I’ve been trying to find more information on this and if one could be fitted to my CR85.

So with that being said let’s start the discussion has anyone done this or have any information on how to go about it? I’m seeing Healtech offers one for the CRF150r but I’m not seeing anything on two strokes...

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

You just need a method to interrupt the spark. Any standalone carb ready quickshifter will work, as long as it interrupts the coil signal. You would just need to find a trigger that works on the shift lever, as I assume that you don't have shift linkage. Go check out supermotojunkie.com, I'm sure that someone has something for dirt bikes and those folks would know. I have seen quickshifters for dirt bikes, but I'm struggling to remember the brand names at the moment.

Power Commander has an "Off Road Shifter Kit" available, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't care if it's 2t or 4t.

zrx12man likes this.
  3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

The more annoying part will be powering the unit, you're going to need to hide a small batt (I think some can work off a 9v) somewhere along with the QS. HealTech has a unit that'll work, I used it on my FZR.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

do you really think it will save any measurable time from your over all lap ET?
    Last I rode an 85... I never let off the throttle to shift. Simply preload the lever & let it eat!

If anyone was looking to shave 100ths or 1000ths... I would imagine the kart guys would have something since
    they use those motors.

5. smokey11

smokey11 Member

Thanks for the replies, I’ll take a look at the DJ and Healtech systems, I’m thinking Healtech might be the answer for me.

6. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Quickshifters tend not to work on dirtbikes, Graves did make a push button one for the Yamaha 450 for supermoto, a friend of mine had it said it worked ok. You had to preload the shifter then press the button (looked like a extra kill switch). It was part of there CDI box.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That sounds like what I did as a kid with my $3 kill button.

8. smokey11

smokey11 Member

Apparently Healtech makes one that works, only problem is it’s not cheap...

9. AMA229

AMA229 HandsomeBanana

They work...ran a dynojet QS on my 06 CRF450R racing SM on the West Coast. While I'm referring to a four stroke 450, I don't remember ever having an issue with it over 2 seasons.

10. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

I use the stand-alone Translogic set-ups on both a KTM 2T and a 150R and they work great. The downside is that they do need a small 12v battery for power, they are also ridiculously expensive (nearly $400 when I bought mine several years ago).

Translogic p/n TLS-QS6SMX-12-LSPUSH

11. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

At Pacific Raceways our RS125 was an even 1 second faster with the Battle Factory quickshifter, apples to apples, same rider, same day. On a kart track maybe it's not that significant, but on a big track it was a necessity to win.

12. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

I can provide a quickshifter design that will work with 4T and 2T, down to 6vdc; US$75 plus shipping. An actual trigger for a linkless shift pedal could be interesting; as suggested, a thumb button (ground to trigger) would work nicely.

13. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Would a thumb button have a pre-set kill time? To me that's the whole advantage of having a quickshifter, right? If you're relying on a momentary thumb button you may as well just blip the throttle to unload the gear teeth for a "pre-loaded" shift.

14. DonTZ125

The thumb button acts as a trigger to the QS controller, much in the same way that the QS sensor in the linkage would. Load the shifter, tap the button, and the QS cuts the spark for ~ 50ms, not the 1/4 - 1/2s of tapping a kill switch. This is exactly what I did with my first few QS prototype controllers, before I had a source of QS sensors, and the riders using them were quite pleased.

zrx12man likes this.
  15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Don! You're alive! I gave up on getting my quickshifter back from you a couple of years ago because I haven't heard from you since July of 2017. Let me know if you ever sorted out my controller or how we can resolve the open issue of you having my items for the last 18 months. I sold the race bike, so I can either take back the controller unit or a partial refund. Let me know!

Phil Cook

16. DonTZ125

I still have it?! Gaahhh ... My abject and embarrassed apologies - I'm usually better about not making THAT much of an ass of myself.

How partial is partial? You were charged $75 for something that we couldn't get working - sounds like a good opening bid.

17. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I paid $250 USD for a quickshifter for my CBR600F3 that didn't work. I sent the controller back at my cost on July 12 2017 and have not received an update since July 25 2017. I still have the switch somewhere, but the bike has since departed my environs. I think that the new owner might enjoy the kit, but I have no use for it.

18. DonTZ125

I ask again, how partial is partial? By my estimate I owe you $250 less what you feel you can sell the shift sensor for, OR $250 plus return postage for the sensor.

Edit: Plus whatever you paid to send the controller back - another $10?

19. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

The two stroke bikes not having as much flywheel weight tend to shift pretty good with out. I let Eddie ride my KTM65 and his first comment was about how well it shifted. Kept riding it the whole day did not even try my 150r or XR100. The next time at the track he rode my 150r all day, his brother owns the 150r now. I kind of miss that bike.