1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin track Tire recommendation??

Discussion in 'General' started by Chaplain45, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Chaplain45

Chaplain45 Well-Known Member

Looking at getting a fresh set of track tires for my new to me track bike. What non-tire-warmer Michelin Tires are recommended for track days (NO street duty)?

Thanks

Bike: SV650
    Front: 120
    Rear: 180

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Power RS or Pilot Power 3 should do the job just fine for trackdays on an SV650

stickboy274 likes this.
  3. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Those should do it. Do you have the stock rear wheel, or has it been converted to a GSXR wheel?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  4. Chaplain45

Swingarm & wheel is off a zx6r cut/notched to clear penske

5. stickboy274

Then for track without warmers, run the 120/180 RS. These tires will offer lots of grip and no warmers needed. They also last well.

Chaplain45 likes this.
  6. Chaplain45

Trying to figure out the pros/cons of the RS vs powers.

7. stickboy274

The RS will offer more grip and will operate in a better temperature range for the track. The Pilot power will offer better mileage, but will not have the same outright grip at track tire temps as the RS line.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

grip.. longevity.. pick one :) Hearing a LOT of good things about that RS

9. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

You've got a lot of grip and longevity defending crooks. :moon:

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Dude. you and some others are getting a lot of grip and longevity, in not knowing when continuing a "joke" (it's a joke to you) in every thread, every day, isn't funny any more.
    I'm a grown up. I know how to contain the hatred, and bullshit to a specific thread and then move on, so people can enjoy this forum and not have to re-live it on a continual basis. (just sayin). But feel free to continue. I've got staying power.

TLR67, badmoon692008, SpeedyE and 3 others like this.
  11. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Defending a known lying thief is not a joke. If you were a grown up you would know that. But you just keep on keeping on with your staying power. :rolleyes:

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

How about not throw this bullshit in a thread it doesn't belong?

JBall, mpusch, terminus est and 7 others like this.
  13. Chaplain45

Back on topic: I probably lean more towards grip. My thought is a little SV isnt going to be a tire shredder compaired to my liter bike. Also, I'm not pushing that hard. However with that said im not wanting to buy tires everyother track day.
    Thoughts ...... on tires.

<><

14. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Paying more for Michelins when you are not really exploring outright grip is a waste of money when you can get Pirelli and Bridgestones for way less and offer the same levels of grip and feel. Lots of great options for much less.

15. stickboy274

The RS would still be my suggestion. They are afforable and designed to do what you are wanting to do.

Chaplain45 likes this.
  16. fastfreddie

It seems the RS replaced the Power Sport EVO. I had good experiences with the Sport EVO but my 1000 eventually cooked 'em before their time.
    Went to the CUP EVO and, while they didn't last as long, I still ran fine without warmers day in and day out. Their grip also took seconds off my laps.
    When the Sports were done, they got greasy. When the CUPs were done, they just let go. (Not that they didn't immediately come right back.)
    As far as bang for buck, it's why I ride Michelins. I get a lot of mileage out of 'em.

To be fair to Pirelli and Bridgestone, I'd have to see if I can get 4-6 days out of their RS equivalent and 2-3 days out of their CUP equivalent. I don't use warmers, either, and the Michelins don't seem to care after a lap or so.
    If Pirelli or Bridgestone can give me that, I'm into exploring their options, but I, personally, don't know whether they have those attributes...grip to the end, mileage, and only a lap to come up to temp.

Chaplain45 likes this.
  17. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I’m always seeing these tire threads.... am I the only one that needs to replace tires every 2 races one practice day? And I’m slow...

18. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

the power rs's perform much better compared to the power supersport evo's on my street/td GSX-R1000. I cannot compare them to the Q3's (they seem to be the benchmark ) because we don't get them overseas and I'd like to hear opinions from someone that has used them both for trackdays.

ps:the pp3's last VERY LONG but performance-wise ,they're nowhere near the rs's.

19. fastfreddie

I tried all iterations of the Dunlops. The Q3s have good longevity but the front felt like wood with both stock forks and Ohlins internals.

Not using warmers kept me from enjoying Dunlop's higher end tires. They take laps to warm up and, even then, I wasn't sure about 'em.
    I've watched my Dunlop friends go down for no apparent reasons on their 4th lap and after slowing a hot pace a bit and then wickin' it back up.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  20. Chaplain45

It's a relationship thing: BFGoodrich/Michelin tire company has been very good to me in the off-road world, therefore I can't see ever running any other brand. Their rubber is on everything I own.

* * *Does anyone have any experience with the RS on a small bike? Both in performance, longevity and warming up time.

<><

MELK-MAN likes this.