1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lacrosse

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Dec 8, 2017.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

talked to my daughter about it, looked at some YouTube videos and she was like she doesn't want to get hit. Fair enough for now. The lil guy was like he wants to play Lacrosse instead of baseball in the spring. 1/2 for now. We'll look out for @Steeltoe at the games :)

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Surfin' bird, my daughter played today and it was ugly. Full check, girls that haven't played together in a year, just full on cluster F.

Not a one of them didn't have smiles on their faces after and weren't ready to pound you me, or jesus himself into the ground,

BigBird and joec like this.
  3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Really?

Goal is 6' by 6'.

I think Joey covers most of that without moving much.....

joec likes this.
  4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yes.Goalies are few and far between making it easier to get scholarships.

5. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Only one goalie plays per team per game (typically). Teams carry 4-5 maybe. 3 middies play at the same time, 7-9 play every game. Teams carry 12-15. If your kid wants to play in college, goalie is the worst odds.

As for money, can't say for sure, but i doubt any college lax player has more than 1/2 of a scholarship, prob only 1/3. If money for college is your goal, look somewhere other than lacrosse.

6. britx303

In our experience,as well as all the other goalies we know,including the ones that play for Maryland,Notre Dame and Hopkins im going to disagree 100%. If 100 kids want to play Lacrosse,then 99% dont want to be goalie, making them more valuable and colleges ready to give major scholarships to the goalies. The offers we had for our oldest daughter floored me. We basically had to really just pay room and board. Same thing the college girls told us.

7. joec

joec brace yourself

It's definitely regional.. You can't put Hopkins, um, or bc in the same category as unc. Completely different worlds when it comes to lax. How many Marina championships does Hopkins have?

8. britx303

This isnt about championships. This was a response about scholarships. Keep up or go back to Dundalk:D

9. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Sorry, I forgot you guys were talking about girls. Still stand by what I said for boys.

10. dtalbott

Lacrosse goalies are like baseball catchers?

11. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Like soccer, people assume that you stick the fat kid in the box and voila, instant goalie.

A good goalie needs as much athleticism as any other player on the field, and does more than simply stand in the crease and try to stop shots.......he's an integral part of the field defense and will frequently find himself on the open field moving the ball forward (in addition to calling the field for the defense).

Plus, some serious bravery is needed. I've stood in there before and when that middie finds himself some space out on the island and winds up so far that you can see his jersey number, you know that shit is about to get very real.

Which is why I was never a goalie!

joec likes this.
  12. joec

joec brace yourself

lol. Its essex. And Ok hon.. I just mean it seems to me most schools don't give a crap about lax. It's a really mid Atlantic thing. A friend of mine who went to UCLA and played football there,you and grew up outside of Chicago always gave me shit for Hopkins being national champions at lax. He was always like "who the hell plays that game? Are you guys really that afraid of hockey?" I don't see a ton of schools investing in lax teams. I even have a couple of friends who play "pro" lax.

The flip side is, if you are good enough for one of those schools....damn.... That's a cake gig..

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, the fat kid method of picking a goalie is long dead. One of the best girl goalies I've seen is a skinny girl who just decided to give it a try at one practice and it was instant.
    You can have the best offense in the area but if your goalie is not good, you're done.

Dundalk. :crackup: That was a brutal insult.

14. joec

joec brace yourself

At least I'm not near man-asses..

15. dtalbott

Damn. I was the fat, lazy kid who started playing goalie on the soccer team in fifth grade. :(

16. britx303

Yep,I can only talk how the girls stuff is going. No experience dealing with the guys end of things with college scholarships.

17. britx303

Was that supposed to be a burn?................:p

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a city in Wisconsin.

19. joec

joec brace yourself

Did you make timonium? Why is it always freeeezing for those couple of nights?

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It's also the next town over from me here. It's, well, a bit, um, well houses are reasonably priced. :D