1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AHRMA Next Gen 2

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by yamatr3, Oct 21, 2017.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

I don't know what the other guy is on about but just keep in mind it takes money to switch classes or build a new bike. So don't write that class off yet. I think there is gonna be guys out there coming back into the sport and wanting to relive the good ol days, not want the latest techno shit, but not ride a 30 year old clapped out piece either.

ToofPic likes this.
  2. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

LOL!

james walker likes this.
  3. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

Rob Simpson will be riding a 94 YZF750 and a TZ350 at selected WERA in 2018. I've been busy with the AHRMA open 2 stroke class prepping for the International Challenge, but I'll be back with Rob for more WERA events. Russ Bigley

4. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Its coming out awesome. I 've been photographing every stage. Just waiting on rearsets, fuel pump, and paint. Little busy now with move to new house but back to work on it soon.

5. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Daddy?? Where the hell you been man?!! My grades iz been doin real gud..
    My gonna be ridin that rc fiddy 1 or the vf are 400 :beer:

6. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

7. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

"Ducati 748, 748R, 748RS may compete, provided engine capacity has been increased by modifying bore and/or stroke to a maximum of 996cc. "

So you cant run a 748 unless its bored out to 996? LOL

8. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

916 would be the way to go, unless you are rich ......

9. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Rich ?? no but a 996 engine is the better upgrade and bolts right in . Unfortunately you can't according to the rules you can only bore or stoke it to 996? The engine must be the from the same machine as the frame.. makes no firgin sense... I do believe they missed the boat on that rule for that bike!

10. Duck150

748 up to 998 all have same frame .... so, you have to have matching number frame and engine? But I guess if your dropping a new engine into a 748 frame, then go big. I have a 94 916 that I've race since new, not as fast but I've have beat many 996 ducks many years back...

11. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Ahrma will let you bump the stock motor to 996cc but wont let you drop a 996 or 916 engine into the 748 frame? makes no sense? the rule is poorly written.

12. JSR29

JSR29 Member

Can't make a 748 or 916 a 996 anyway. No room to bore out to 98mm. The rule is indeed a bit of contradictory nonsense so narrowly written.
    I'm sure the intention is to keep the approved bikes in period and not let the intepretation of what's allowable get out of hand. As it did the first time around with combinations that, while legal under the rules, did not exsist in period.
    See 996RS motors in 888's.

13. Duck150

So... are they going to check frame and engine numbers...? What happens if you crack your engine block ? Do you have to get a whole new bike...?Don't understand.... ?

14. yamatr3

yamatr3 Well-Known Member

JSR29 Understands exactly the intent of the rule!

15. yamatr3

yamatr3 Well-Known Member

Correct, this class is not for middleweight bikes. If the 748 was allowed as a 748, then the 600CC counterparts would need to be let in. There were several 748cc big bore kits that were run in AMA at the time, these bikes are legal.

16. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

As stated you can't bore a 748 to 996 the best kit is a 853cc . so I don't get where you allow an impossible motor upgrade but don't allow a engine swap of the same displacement? And yes I get the reason for not allowing a small displacement bike in the class. Either don't allow the bike period or allow the the fix.

17. Duck150

The most you can bore a 916 and be safe with a 2 mm sleeve is a 955 , so ... how do you bore a 748 to a 996 ..? That with a fat sleeve and cases bore ....

18. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

"Correct, this class is not for middleweight bikes. If the 748 was allowed as a 748, then the 600CC counterparts would need to be let in. There were several 748cc big bore kits that were run in AMA at the time, these bikes are legal"
    One more thing then I will let this go.. So they allow a Ducati middleweight bike to bump displacement so it can compete, but not any of the Jap middleweight bikes of that era to do the same? flawed rule if you ask me. Also no kits today provide a cc displacement that bump the 748 to anything over 890cc that I can find? I wont be building a grenade to compete in this class anyway.. but I might and others would be interested in running a 916 or 996 motor in that frame.. heck it looks like a 996, with no advantage over a true 996 or other bikes in that class. But again I am beating a dead horse, Just remove the bike from the rules. That is all and thanks for your time....

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Jeff McKinney likes this.
  19. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

It says 996 is the maximum,run a 1mm overbore,done.

20. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

And if a guy gets beat by what he suspects is a stock motor 748 and protests......then he needs a new hobby.