1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up a trailer: Grounds for divorce?

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Nov 27, 2017.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Bet its tuff getting those cinder blocks to stay in line.

2. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

We have a bunch of trailers of varying sizes and I can back them all up, but the lawn tractor with the dump cart is ridiculously difficult, orders of magnitude harder than a big trailer. In fact you can't even push the thing backwards by hand without it weaving all over and trying to jackknife, so that probably isn't a good barometer. As others have said, have her go to a big empty parking lot with painted parking spaces and try backing the trailer into various spaces. IMO, you should hand her the simple tips someone else posted earlier (hand at bottom of steering wheel, etc.) and let her go by herself and try it. On her own she is likely to either figure out HOW to do it or figure out she doesn't WANT to do it, either way you come out ahead. Go with her and you will probably just make her tense and self conscious and end up in an argument.

Laz, pscook and Phl218 like this.
  3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Just let her take it. Its only a trailer. They'll make more.

NemesisR6 and Phl218 like this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Let her have a beer first.

5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

And ... you get to toss out some righteous indignation over her making you buy a new one. :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

If you do go to teach her. call her, and put it on speakerphone. Set the phone on the console. That way she doesn't have to see you, or guess what you mean. If you say, "stop, you're about to hit something" she should understand.

lazlo and dtalbott like this.
  7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Smartphone on speaker is a good idea.

Now, granted, I have to back into some weird places, but at least once I've taken a picture of stuff behind me and used that for reference while I was backing. It helps.

8. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Ask her to check the reverse lights :D

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

My dad likes to talk about insurance stats.

Women get into more accidents than men ...but typically at much lower speeds, and thus lower cost.

I would like to think that a group of women would be cautious enough not to hit anything, but i wouldn’t be as optimistic that they have an easy time getting the trailer where they intended.

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah, they're pretty rock solid. LOL

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Absolutely. I've said it before but I'll repeat it - worst time I've ever had backing up a trailer was a little 8' flatbed behind one of the duallies. Had to turn it around in a corner of a hotel parking lot at night with a wife who is useless at directing (I didn't even have her try). Couldn't see the little thing until it was already jackknifed.

panthercity likes this.
  12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

If you drill a small hole in the deck of the trailer, right at the back edge, you can stick in one of those orange driveway markers for when it snows. They usually have reflective tape on them, so your reverse lights make them pretty visible.

I have a BITCH of a time backing my empty 4x8 into my driveway without a bike loaded on it. My wife has stood on the empty trailer so that I can see where it's pointing, but that's not a great option... I usually just un-hitch and strain my back moving it by hand.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've done that too but the back of the truck was full so the rearview was out or I'd have been able to see the stuff on the trailer.

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

https://www.iballhitchcam.com/

When we got the first Class C, I enrolled Anna in an RV specific driving course. I was pretty sure she could drive the thing but she lacked confidence.
    After she drove it, with the 22' car hauler trailer, through downtown Atlanta noon traffic, I considered it $350.00 well spent.

Sabre699 and rk97 like this.
  15. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

^ not having to be the person teaching your wife is worth $350 for just about everything.

My wife dropped my bike when I showed her how to operate it. I have no idea how many times she dropped the MSF bike, but she came home smiling, and I didn't notice any new scuffs on the old 2-piece suit I made her wear.

panthercity likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cameras to back up to a trailer kick ass. Never got the hang of the one I had on the big trailer as a rearview for backing the trailer up other than the final little bit of where to stop.

panthercity likes this.
  17. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

I have
    I have a single PWC trailer. When empty, I can't see it at all. I added some PVC posts to the rear corners, makes a huge difference.

rk97 likes this.
  18. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I've tried teaching the wife how to drive stick, and ride a motorcycle. It's impossible. There's absolutely no way I'm attempting to teach her how to drive with a trailer. I know it's possible for people to LEARN how to do those things, but damned if I know how to teach them. It's always just been second nature to me.

rk97 likes this.
  19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yep, exactly what I'd do. Give her the keys and say have fun.

And then if it comes home abused, you have hand.

Funkm05 likes this.
  20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Taught my wife to ski and MC...gave up on the trailer thing, too hard (on me).