1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up a trailer: Grounds for divorce?

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

Assuming you like being married to her.

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Pics of the boat!

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

[​IMG]

Dave_SV, Phl218 and dtalbott like this.
  4. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Buy a Ford with trailer back-up assist.

5. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Ex-GF got a boat of her own. I tried teaching her. We are no longer together. THE END

My method is get the thing relatively lined up to start. Then do most of the backing in a straight line with little steering. If you see the trailer in your right mirror steer right. If in the left mirror turn left. Small movements. If you get too out of wack, pull forward a touch. Less than 1 car length forward can really fix issues before they get out of hand. Bigger trailers with smaller tow vehicle make it easier. I wouldn't suggest backing a 4x8 HF trailer with a dually crew cab full bed truck but if you can master that everything else will be cake.

Edit: or do the above. Warning though. You still do have to be aware of where your nose is at when the truck is snaking backwards

BigBird and Pixelator like this.
  6. NemesisR6

It's the small things like this that are hard to teach when all the focus is on what the trailer is doing. Watched a guy get a concrete pylon (protecting an electrical box) wedged between his brush-guard on what had to have been an $70K dually Ram as he was backing up his 5th wheel at a park up near St. Augustine.

7. condon66

condon66 Member well known

This is what I always tell people.

Steer towards trouble.

The thing I dont like about the hand at the bottom of the wheel method is you're telling people to 'turn left to make the trailor go left' when you're actually turning the wheel to the right. They get confused, then pissed, then they get out and storm off lol.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'd rather go through a messy divorce than have to backup my single-axle trailer but that's just me :D

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

If you grew up backing one of these types up everything else is child's play. :D Take a close look at the front hitch and axle. I'm sure the resident JD equipment expert can fill us in. :moon:
    [​IMG]

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I like it better than the front wheels on the Jeep or Ho going wherever they want :D

11. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

It's the way I was taught long ago, and the way my brain thinks about it.

I have to translate in my head when a top-wheel backer is giving me directions on backing.

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Great thread.....this issue has been the number one argument/yelling initiator for me in the last ten years! Wife gets out, insists on "guiding" me in....can't understand why I can't instantly make the 42 ft TH'r change direction the instant she changes from left to right.....:mad: I once tried to get her to drive/back it up so she would "get it"...that resulted in me not "getting any" for a month! o_O

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would anyone give directions? Point the way the trailer needs to go and the driver takes care of the rest. Not where the hitch needs to go or the wheels need to go or any of that other silly crap people do. When I'm close if you really want, put your hands as far apart as I need to keep going and when your palms touch I'll stop - or just wave me back and make a fist when I'm there.

Never understood why the person directing thought they needed to be the driver at the same time.

14. NemesisR6

Yup. Or just be a moving marker for the areas (or objects) that are tough for me to see.

As I tell the wife, just show me where I need to be and I'll slide it right in, gentle-like.

Funkm05 likes this.
  15. condon66

condon66 Member well known

We would make a good team.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

If you try and it doesn't go well you might be contributing to the divorce thread. :D

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: Just make sure to position yourself so I can see you in my mirror and let me know if I'm going to hit anything and I'll do the rest. :)

18. Spoken like a seasoned veteran.

19. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Are the friends hot?

panthercity, lazlo and rk97 like this.
  20. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

In fairness, those short wheelbase things are actually harder to back up than a boat on trailer.