1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up a trailer: Grounds for divorce?

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Nov 27, 2017.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Wife has been kicking around the idea that she wants to take a few of her friends camping in our toy hauler for a long weekend.

She's shared short driving stints while hauling the trailer in the past, but has never backed it up (giggity). So, that would mean I would have to teach her.

My experience has been that backing up a trailer with some semblance of skill is something that typically comes pretty naturally........some get it immediately and others never get the hang of it. I still see guys that have been hauling their boats around for decades having trouble lining up the trailer at the local ramp.

Some of the campsites we've been to have required some pretty healthy maneuvering to get the trailer into place, and it's not even all that large (8.5x20').

Any tips?

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Pitch a tent bitch. :D

J/k, then you would be divorced. Who knows, take her out in an open lot and see what she can do. Larger trailers are somewhat easier to park as they aren't so squirrelly. Gotta' start somewhere?

On a side note, we had a friends wife that borrowed a trailer from us and she brought it back. She drove into the back lot lined it up and pretty much gunned it in reverse, you can guess the rest.

3. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

FTS.

Better start looking at what you want for a new toy hauler.

james walker, BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  4. NemesisR6

We were doing some gardening a few months ago and I watched her try to back up our riding mower with a dump-cart of mulch attached. It was not pretty.

Hence my trepidation.

XFBO and badmoon692008 like this.
  5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Offer to deliver the TouHauler to the campsite and set it up for her... ride a bike back home... the. Back to pick it up.

rk97, Pixelator, stickboy274 and 4 others like this.
  6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Tell the dude she's going "camping" with to back it up for her. :D

G2G, XFBO, Laz and 14 others like this.
  7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

A truck full of a bunch of clucking hens and one that's not driven with a trailer nor backed one up is not a good scenario. I'd drive the thing there myself and unload it and drive home.

8. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Some great entertainment is sitting at a boat launch and watching people try to back up and launch their boats.

9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Hand at the bottom of the steering wheel.

Use mirrors.

Need trailer to go left - turn left.
    Need trailer to go right - turn right.

Go slow.

Get out and look.

XFBO, 5axis and Phl218 like this.
  10. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Forgot number one rule:

Husband cannot teach his wife.

XFBO, Pixelator, JBall and 3 others like this.
  11. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I may just be the minority.. Both my mother and my wife do very well driving and parking trailers. Then again, it was either let mom drive the 700 hp jet boat or park the truck and trailer.

E Reed and Pixelator like this.
  13. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Brilliant.

14. NemesisR6

Lawdog78 likes this.
  15. NemesisR6

If I had a street legal bike, that might have been something to consider.

If they decide to keep the destination relatively local, I may just "deliver" it for them and drive the truck back until I can help her get some more practice.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

a.) have her find a pull-through site
    b.) call the park ranger / campsite owner and ask him to back it in for her
    c.) what @dtalbott said
    d.) not another divorce thread on here

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Like someone said, either your brain gets it or it doesnt.

I cut my teeth on backing stuff up by working at the airport. Backing up planes by the nose wheel? no issue. We practiced by hooking up two pallet dollies and backing those up all over the ramp until it became second nature.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

so what you're saying is that she should get a job at the airport for practice first.

dtalbott likes this.
  19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Rent her a RV for the weekend....

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I predict that when you bump this thread after her trip, this post will be the one making you wonder why you didn't trust your instincts. :D
    This knowledge, right here, is the cornerstone of reduced divorce probabilities.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017