1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro to BJJ

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2017.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Dave no longer has the authority

Fencer likes this.
  2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

-Finding out how flexible you aren't anymore.

-a steep learning curve to break a lot of ingrained habits from previous training or wrestling.

-the desire to wear a TapOut or Affliction shirt and walk around trying to armbar random people walking down the street.

Mot Okstef, tropicoz and JBraun like this.
  3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I still don’t know what BJJ stands for. All the blow job jokes are confusing me.

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It stands for blow job job.
    It just means he's making a living at it.

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

BJJ jokes are low hanging fruit. You guys are better than this :D

To answer the actual question: The best idea would be to not expect anything at all. Try to go in with a completely empty slate and zero expectations.

Having an athletic background, and just generally picking things up pretty quickly, I never expected the learning curve to be so long. It’s right there with surfing and motocross as the most humbling sports I’ve ever attempted.

You’ll be really overwhelmed initially. There are a lot of things that you’ve probably observed when watching MMA, or BJJ that seem intuitive, but aren’t. My coach always says Jiu Jitsu is not a sport, it’s a language. It’s impossible to master because you can always increase your vocabulary, learn a new dialect, or even pick up slang.

Similarly, even though you’ll only cover the basics in your first lesson, it will still seem like too much, and likely not make any sense.

If you’re going to give it a shot, I’d recommend you commit to three months at least. It’s easy to get frustrated early, but once you start to connect the dots, there aren’t many things more rewarding.

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

7. Br1anbuck

Br1anbuck Well-Known Member

What school in Columbia?

8. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Put all the Js in there you like, he was still going to get the same first response around here.

sharkattack and renegade17 like this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Cavalo

11. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Joel Tudor. Mofo can surf and break elbows, but's still learning.

JBraun likes this.
  12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

According to the latest news, Steven Seagall seemed to enjoy the BJJ very much lol

BigBird and Mot Okstef like this.
  13. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I understand how effective BJJ is; but man, i have zero desired to spend my spare time rolling around with sweaty dudes.

14. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

I can tell you it is very humbling. Wrestling is a great background for BJJ. Only a few wrestling instincts to break.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not looking forward to that either. I think the gi is the way to go, even if it does give your opponent something to grab.

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Aww. You’re adorable.

Stick with Tae Bo. Or maybe a nice spin class. :D

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'd strongly recommend doing both. I waited too long to get a gi, so I was in big trouble when I first started training in it. The opposite can be true also. If you learn in the gi, you'll be lost when you don't have all those handles.

The other advantage to doing both is that you double your training opportunities.

18. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Blow Job Journeyman?

20. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

It's like UFC. They show all the good punches and kicks in the previews, but when you watch the actual fight it's just a bunch of guys hugging and rolling around in the ring. :rolleyes:

I got invited to watch a UFC "fight" at a friend's house and was all pumped up to see some serious fighting. After watching that bullshit I called it Utimate Man Love and wasn't invited back for the next party. :crackup:

969, XFBO and StaccatoFan like this.