1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017/2018 hunting thread

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Nov 12, 2017.

1. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

No, they said there were some around but we never kicked any up.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Where in Iowa? I don't think I've seen that many birds in Iowa for the last three years or so. LOL

3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

We go near the Amana Colonies. Plenty of birds but you have to have land to hunt. We have a friend that lives out there who secures properties for us to hunt. In three days we took 18 birds and missed a lot more!

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Nice. That's a pretty area for Iowa. Stay in Iowa City or Cedar Rapids. I think I have become spoiled going to SoDak. So many birds it's crazy. Don't even use a dog to flush them as there are so many. One year we had a good chance of just hitting our limit with the truck while driving out to the field. LOL

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Good dog work is 99% of the enjoyment.

dobr24 likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I keep thinking about shooting bambi in the yard but the pre school on the other side of some trees makes that a bad idea.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

You keep thinking about it. I have the visual of the angle and devil on opposite shoulders debating your options. :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, there is also the cleaning and skinning and all that mess. I'd rather just come on here and ask people to send me bambi meat :D

V5 Racer likes this.
  9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

We stay in Marengo a little town west of Iowa City.
    Interesting about SD. I have heard mixed reviews from people that I don't know whether to trust or not. I have heard that there are a ton of birds if you go on a private hunting preserve (stocked birds that can hardly fly) but that it is hard to find places to hunt if you don't. It's a hell of a trip from Cincinnati so I would like to know it's worth the extra 8 hours drive or flying out if we were to go.

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah its a haul even from central Iowa. I'm fortunate, as a budy of mine originally from Onida worked on a farm in high school and now these two brothers have 18,000 acres and they only let him hunt it.

Yeah the private game reserves and lodges started really popping up in the last 8 years. They are required to restock x amount of game birds each year that are basically domestically raised and they aren't very wild and are somewhat tame from what I have heard.

But for sure if you are able to get on some private land there are so many birds it crazy but It looks like you got a fair amount from Iowa.

11. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Kris87 likes this.
  12. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Spent time in Sylvania as a kid. Fishing was VERY good in the 60’s ! 38” Lake trout out of Clark Lake trolling in a canoe (Paddle up, down was wind at our backs)
    Best airshow ever when a Osprey and an Eagle fought over lunch.

13. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Busy killing shit I heard. :D

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Why not just shoot the pig? I have no love for feral pigs, and I’m all for culling them, I just don’t understand the desire to kill an animal with a knife.

I’ve had to finish off deer that way and I do everything in my power to make a clean kill and avoid it doing it again.

15. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

It's because you hunt them with dogs and there is no realistic way to kill them with a gun and not shoot one of the dogs. They basically surround the pig to keep it in place.

Also, to be fair, killing them with a knife is just as humane as killing them with an arrow. It's the same sharp object going through their lungs. I think the knife is a little better because it isn't too hard to get their heart.

16. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Just something my inner caveman has an interest in. Cant really explain it other than it seems like it would be a huge rush and I dont know anyone that has ever done it.

17. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Central WI (near Lyndon Station) just sitting in the outdoor office not seeing squat all day, deer wise. Did have a squirrel bark at me for an hour. Thought about plugging it with a .450bushmaster. Just now had herons circling overhead sqwauking.

18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ive never hunted,but in-laws down in Georgia invited us to come down and go hunting on their property. I asked about the wild pigs/hogs or whatever they are called, and they said they've got them,so thats what I think I want to go for.........I hate them things.

19. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

Let's get to the important stuff, what's the Brit's name.

20. This ones going to be hard for ya’ll to beat but I got 3 squirrels off the back deck this morning with the Gammo.