1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keto Diet

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 1, 2017.

1. I agree with the first part, but disagree with the 2nd part.

Fat isn’t bad, carbs aren’t bad either. Simple sugars aren’t “bad” per se. Hell, there are entire countries where carbs make up 70-80% of their diet, and they are the smallest people on the planet.

Anything in excess is bad, that even includes water.

This shit goes in cycles. As previously mentioned, a Keto diet was “the next thing” like 30 years ago. Then suddenly fat was bad and the market was flooded with “low fat” and “fat free” products. Then things changed again and suddenly carbs are bad. I’m sure if you give it a few years, fat will be bad again.

The thing is, every time a “new” thing comes out (or more accurately, gets regurgitated), there is all kinds of scientific research proving how it is the best thing ever, people will swear by it, etc. Then a few years later, there will be new science saying how it is bad. Shit never ends.

Meanwhile the whole time a balanced diet of carbs, protein, and fats in a 40/30/20 ratio (give or take 5-10% depending on who you talk to) has worked for everyone from regular everyday people to high level athletes to bodybuilders. Throughout decades, while all of the fad diets are the “thing” and then “not the thing”, and then the “thing” again, a well rounded, balanced diet has been successful for hundreds of millions of people.

But anyway, the people that swear by this shit don’t want to listen to any of that. They swear by what they do, and have all the “science” to back it up (while ignoring all science and history to the contrary). So there is no point in arguing about it. I just let them do their thing and go on about my business.

Pitmom42 and DucatiBomber like this.
  2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I magically lost ~30 lbs by following your bolded comments. I still have no idea why it worked, I must have been taking some other supplement or the food was magically "all protein" or "all fat" without me knowing it. Magic! Oh, I also trained to the point where I could run a 15k race in 58 minutes (that's right about a 6:10 mile average). It can't be that I ate a balanced diet. Nope, there was something else at play, and I'm not going to spill my secrets.

[/sarcasm]

Eat less do more.

BROsiah and Gorilla George like this.
  3. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Dont think of the stuff you cant eat. Think of the stuff you would be eating, bacon and eggs every morning? Steak for dinner? To me that is living the life. haha.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Have you taken the time to read the research? Specifically, the impact a ketone based diet has on blood sugar, insulin response, and hunger? Simply put, carbs are quick burning fuel. You eat every few hours because if you don't, your blood glycogen levels drop and you crash. Fats are slower burning/longer lasting fuel. When you're fat adapted, your body doesn't go through the constant ups and downs of eat/high glycogen/insulin/low glycogen/crash all day every day.

5. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

I've been doing a strict Keto diet for 11 weeks. So far I'm down 34 pounds. The interesting part is that with all of the Fat intake my cholesterol went from 180 to 130. My question is why would you need to go back to a regular diet which includes Carb's. There are studies out there now that state you don't necessarily have to have grain in your diet. I fine living on Fat and Protein. I do one cheat day a month, and when I cheat it's all bad. I'm talking cupcakes, sweet cornbread, etc. etc. Usually pack on a couple pounds but it's back off in a few days.

Trying to get back to race weight for some old man racing.

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

7. shakazulu12

Even though I personally go Keto, the bold is the R6 of the nutritional world. Everyone knows how it works, it works well in just about any situation. You can mess around with other things that will likely require a ton more effort on your part to try and get results, or you can just grid up and go. End of the day, just about any structured plan is going to work with enough commitment. Just a matter of how far you want to go and what your specific needs/goals are.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. :D

:beer:

Your last statement summed it up. Eat less do more.

At the end of the day, that is the main thing these fad diets accomplish, it makes people actually think about what they are eating, rather than just cramming their face with whatever they can find.

People start paying attention to what they are eating, and eating less. They cut out pizza, cokes, and ice cream. That is usually accompanied by someone beginning some sort of exercise program.

Next thing you know they are in better shape and lost weight...then they start preaching about how their diet is magic and works wonders. When the truth is, they could have accomplished the same thing by just eating right and exercising.

pscook likes this.
  9. I have. Notice nowhere in there did I say it doesn’t work.

It is when people (not you, just in general), start with the shit like “you *have* to do this because it is the best”, or “this is what you *need* to do” or “this is the only thing that works”, so on and so forth.

No, nobody “needs” to do it. That diet isn’t needed for anyone to lose weight and/or get in shape. It is just another way that some people have chosen to do it, which is fine. Most people like to do it because they can still choke down their favorite fatty foods. More power to them.

It’s when people say that diet is necessary, or even better, that I have to throw the bullshit flag. Hundreds of millions of people, over decades, who have gotten in great shape without it can attest otherwise.

It is just “another way to skin a cat”. If it helps someone get in shape and lose weight, I’m all for it. Have at it. But don’t try to convince me that they couldn’t have accomplished the exact same thing without it, I know that is bullshit.

Mike Dillon likes this.
  10. I agree 100%.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Again, for me it also comes back to the quality of food you are eating. Most everyone I see that employs keto are eating foods full of fat and cholesterol but devoid of appreciable amounts of vitamin and mineral rich foods, coincidentally alot of those same people seem to hate eating vegetables, funny. Most all the research on keto diets are from their short term use. I'd be interested to see studies done of people using them consistently for a decade or two. Even the available studies that are out there labelled as "long term", most of them are less than a year in duration.

You can lose weight eating nothing but bacon or nothing but doughnuts if you restrict your calories sufficiently. Question is, is it better for your overall health and nutrition than a diet that is comprised of a balanced mix of nutrient dense foods and plenty of vegetables. I'm more interested in long term stability/longevity than I am with short term yo-yo dieting.

12. shakazulu12

That has not been my experience with those doing keto. But I readily admit that the folks I know doing keto are all athletes and have regular blood work and doctor care. That being said, part of keto is eating tons of veggies and the common advice is "of as many different colors as possible" for exactly the nutrient reasons you mention. That doesn't really sound sexy in the fitness magazines so I suppose it's not really covered as much as it should be. The complexities of keto seldom seem to be mentioned whenever I do happen to read any articles on it. You really do have to dial in your nutrient intake very specifically as there are some things you won't get enough of if you don't focus on it. See my previous comment about sodium and potassium. Nearly everyone I know went through a cramping period while they dialed that it. Since you aren't getting any potassium rich foods otherwise.

I still don't think it's a good idea for the average person who isn't fully committed to at least six months of getting it dialed and a ton of education plus a massive commitment. For the average person, it's just more work than other ways to manage your health. But, you can get the same results you can get with any other idea if you are committed enough.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Can people do a keto diet eating nothing but velveeta, slim jims, and bacon? Sure, but they're idiots. An average day for me starts with bulletproof coffee for breakfast (unless I'm fasting). Lunch is a huge salad with vegetables, greens, hard boiled eggs, and leftover meat from a previous dinner, dressed with olive or avocado oil. Dinner is some type of meat, preferably a fatty cut like ribeye, along with some vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, greens, etc, seasoned with butter. After dinner is a single ultra-dark chocolate.

All of this food is high quality, nutrient dense, and very filling. The only thing missing is the carbs, which I absolutely don't need. I'm able to lower my caloric intake without being hungry or tired, my mind is sharper, my energy levels are high, my workouts aren't suffering, and I feel great.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

For anyone interested, Dom D'Agostino is more or less the tip of the spear when it comes to keto research. The stuff he and others like him are doing for war fighters, athletes, and people with chronic illnesses is amazing.

ruckusracing likes this.
  15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yes Dom is the source. The thing with Keto is you must maintain it diligently and the only way to know your body is in ketosis is through testing.

Which begs the question whether the people who aren't testing are even in ketosis since there is no other way to know.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  16. G 97

G 97 Garth

And in the end it all still comes down to calorie intake Vs. calorie usage. Nothing else matters.

Haub wanted to find out whether what really mattered in body weight control was simple math - energy-in versus energy-out, consumption versus expenditure. Most people, including experts would tell you that Orios, Doritos, Twinkies, doughnuts and peanut butter chocolates - foods that Haub consumed during his diet - are unhealthy and make you put on weight. Haub says he believes it is all a matter of consuming fewer calories than you burn - regardless of where those calories come from. That is the key to weight loss, he says.

It doesn't matter where the macronutrients are derived from as long as essential nutrients are consumed at the recommended levels, and the fuel is consumed at a level at or below energy expenditure.

shakazulu12 and Gorilla George like this.
  17. What is bulletproof coffee?

Is that a different flavor of something, or is it a brand name?

18. shakazulu12

I bought a ketone meter off Amazon. Can't remember how much it was. But wasn't that much and way better than those stupid strips.

19. shakazulu12

Coffee with butter and MCT oil in it. If you want extra bulletproof you need to make sure you use Rotella.

JBraun likes this.
  20. :crackup:

I’m not really keen on adding extra fat intake for no reason. While I know fat isn’t “bad” per se, and it is necessary for testosterone production, I still have no desire to go eating butter and adding fat to shit that doesn’t naturally have fat.